Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Into Year 1

Hi I am trying to formulate a list of vital info to pass on to year 1 - can anyone add

Discussion of profile scores

Looking at scores under 78 and over 90

Any scores less than 6 in CLLD and PSED

Interests of class

Gender differences in profile areas

Medical issues

SEN - IEP

Gifted and Talented

Discussion around organisation of day and room indoor and outdoor

Use of visits to new teacher and classroom

Introduction to different TA staff

Guest muckygravy

I always try to pass on information about the parents, siblings and any problems I might have had during the year. I don't formally write it down but find that it's important to share this with the next teacher. It's better to be prepared.

Yes information about the problem parents is always very important!

I'm sure you've already thought about sharing information about behaviour, although it wasn't in your list specifically. What about interests of certain children or any areas where they particualrly shine (for example: 'Megan knows a lot about Cornwall as she visits her family there a lot', or 'Dominic knows a lot about cars because his dad is a mechanic' etc)

Yes information about the problem parents is always very important!

This made my heart sink. I hate to think about what might have been said about me when my children have moved through school from year to year. :o

Maz

Yes agree with you Maz and also parents that you may have found challenging may get on really well with the next teacher. I think passing on info about family structure is useful (eg the child spends every other weekend with Dad and maybe a bit unsettled when they return etc) but you have to be able to value every parent no matter what contribution/challenge they present.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Edited by Guest

Please don't think I was implying that I don't value them or that I haven't realised they can be completely different with one teacher to the next, however when you work where I work and a small minority of parents are actually quite likely to swear at you and threaten to hit you, or turn up drunk, it's vital that the next teacher is prepared and knows that any problems or discussions about their child must go through the headteacher!

Hi Kariana,

No I now understand fully what you mean, it was just in your first post that was not how it came across. I think information like that is vital, particularly if you work in a school where the Headteacher sometimes doesn't pass that info on (as I do)!!!!! I alos think that it is important to share that type of info with the teaching assistant incase anything happesn when the class teacher is not there eg ppa time, illness, courses etc. You obviously have to be aware of the confidential nature of this but I do think that sometimes it is the ta who is told things by the child either in the class or the playground etc.

Take care

Nicky Sussex :o

If you are recording your results on e-Profile, then there is a wealth of information for the year 1 teacher in all the 13 areas. The graphs are very informative. If you are passing the children to more than one class (eg mixing the children up) then use 'My Groups' to create a bespoke set of class information. (Go to admin tab, select edit pupil details and then put the teacher's name into one of the 4 'my group' boxes). To access new class info, go to assessments tab, go to select pupil and in the drop down menu select 'My Groups' and click on the year 1 teachers name / then select / then close. After that, all the information on the graphs will relate to that bespoke set up and the children in the class.

It is a professional requirement that Year 1 teachers are very familiar with the info relating to the children coming to them so it is sad to read the posts saying that this is not happening. EYFS still continues in Year 1 if the children are not ready for NC.

Hope this is of some help. Use the e-Profile formatively as well as summatively. It is amazingly diagnostic throughout the year and really helped me improve my teaching as well as identifying how to enhance my provision for the children to support them in areas of need.

Pam

No I now understand fully what you mean, it was just in your first post that was not how it came across.

Ah I see, I said problem parents and I think my interpretation of this is different to what most people expect. I mean the ones who swear and threaten, but I know from experience that my job share and various others in the school see that as the ones who come in and moan that their child's reading book hasn't been changed all the time or something similar. Personally I have no problem with this, I don't think our school changes reading books enough anyway, and I sympathise with these parents! It's nice that they are actually taking an interest and are bothered about what their child is doing. At the beginning of the year while my job share was off sick and I was covering a parent came in upset and worried that her child was making no progress in reading, all I did was have a chat and reassure her all was well (her child is almost a year ahead of her age in terms of reading age so there was no problem!) When my job share came back and found out though she acted as if the poor woman had accused us of hitting her child or something! Things like that really do annoy me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)