Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Intake - Recording Children Stage Of Development

I am in the process of arranging to visit some of the nurseries and pre-schools I have children joining from in september. Most children are at our pre-school and we have lots of visits set up. But for the few other children I will be going to meet them at nursery. Last year I spent time looking through their learning journals and chatting to their key person but didn't do anything formal with this. Does anyone go through the development matters or anything to find out exactly where the children are?

Just really want to develop my on entry assessments.

Thanks! K x

I get children coming from a few different settings and a wide range of information about them from the setting. I read through it and it helps to give me a picture of what the child is like but I don't get this information for many children - think I had it for 3/18 children this year. So, for a bit of consistency across the class once I get them in September I spend the first month getting a sense of which Development Matters band they are working within and I also highlight any of the profile points they can clearly have already.

I don't spend hours doing it but did find it helped to give me an initial start on which areas I needed to focus a bit more provision on and which children were likely to need more support with which things.

Does that make sense?

Yes thant makes sense thank you. I did also spend the first few weeks doing lots of obs but when I came to do the profile at october half term I just wondered if anyone uses nursery/pre-school assessments more - by on entry data is collected from oct half term but by this time children have already completed 6 weeks of school and learnt a lot, bt at the same time isn't long enough to get a true reflection of where children are. Maybe what i've been doing is fine! x

how wonderful to hear of practitioners going out to meet children - well done you. xD we ensure our nurseries use a transition record or 6 weekly review sheet which highlights the 6 areas of learning - where the child is at now and has the age development on - 'most' of our reception teachers find this information valuable :o:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)