Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reports Disaster.

You know some times you could just kick yourself for your own stupidity...

I've spent half term writing my reports and finishing my medium term planning for the next half term. Today we had a report writing day and I was making my way through them. The first 10 have to be handed to the head on Friday and I was almost good to go. Then my memory stick gets wiped clean and i just lost everything. I have literally sobbed. I know I should have saved it all to my laptop as well as onto the stick, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Just needed to rant about it - bless my husband he's offered to help me tomorrow night but he's writing his own reports at the moment as well, and unsurprisingly he's managed to go to bed and actually sleep. So here I am staring at the computer at almost midnight - having stared at it all day, and my mind is racing as I'm trying to remember everything I wrote. This must be how the chidlren feel when their models get broken and we tell them that they can build a better one this time....

Oh and let's not forget class photos tomorrow morning. No amount of concealer will sort out my tired blotchy face after no sleep and lots of tears!

Well, best carry on. :o

Oh dear Jess I do feel for you. I think lots of us can really identify with your predicament.

As you say hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? Knowing that you'll do things differently is probably not any comfort at the moment.

I hope you get some sleep tonight. :o

Maz

Thank you - I know it'll get sorted I'm just so annoyed with myself.

Think I'm going to head to bed, who knows what I'll write if i stay up much longer!

:o

Thanks everyone. Got to school this morning to find that most of the staff are pratically finished, so my lovely head has told me not to worry about meeting the first deadline - she's got enough to be proof-reading and mine can wait till Monday. Phew. So feeling better despite not getting much sleep, but at least I know that there's time to get them finished.

Thanks for your support, it's much appreciated :o

Oh you poor thing!

Just check with any technologically minded bods at school whether they can be retrived, you never know ...

I spoke to one of the TAs who's husband is a computer genius, looks doubtful as it was on the memory stick rather than the hard drive. Oh well, I've re-done 4 already so a few more hours tonight and I'll be on track I hope!

I spoke to one of the TAs who's husband is a computer genius, looks doubtful as it was on the memory stick rather than the hard drive. Oh well, I've re-done 4 already so a few more hours tonight and I'll be on track I hope!

Don't rule it out - My compter geek friend..not an expert just a 'fiddler' was able to retrieve all mine off a memory stick.............. I now save everywhere I can and even email stuff to myself!!!!!!

xxx

HI jess, poor you,sorry you are having a bad time.It brought back memories of when I was doing some training and had just completed a essay (2,000)words and then---my pen drive broke!!!!! I had to redo my essay in about 4 hours.We laugh about it now (my teenage son often talks about the time I had essay rage!!) Unsworth

Essay Rage - I love that! Well i definitely had Report Rage last night!

Louby Loo thanks for that - I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what he says. I'm normally so organised and email my planning to myself every week, always safe things to the hardrive as well as the memory stick, and of all the things to not save!

Thanks for that Fimbo - will get hubby to look at them later and see what he can do. If I do it I'll probably make it worse!!!

Goodness how awful! On of my TAs dropped her pen drive in her coffee once (the perils of carrying them around on a ribbon around your neck!). She thought she'd lost everything but luckily our IT guy retrieved it all. How did it end up wiped?

I also feel bad about the amount of time this suggests you're spending on your reports as well! How much are you expected to write? I'll be allocating half a day to write all 30 of mine and I'm fully expecting to get most of them finished! I feel like a terrible report writer now!

Edited by Guest

Wow that sounds blissful! I spend quite a bit of time on each one - This is the format I use, approved by the Head. At the end I export the spider digrams that Target Tracker provides to give a visual picture of the progress the children have made. I've looked at other report formats in local school and it's very similar to what others do. Now I'm thinking i do tooo much!!

a_blank.doc

Last year we reviewed our report systems and I found this format much more managable and appropriate for parents. This year we are adding a couple of comments from key friends in their class. I think the children and parents will love to read what a friend feels about them.

new_report_format.doc

They don't seem much longer than ours Jess, but I guess it depends how much you are writing in each section! I am year one so it's split by subjects rather than areas of learning and I just write a few key sentences in each section then move on. I try not to allow myself to get bogged down with one section or child unless there is some specific problem like a special need or something, otherwise I would be there for hours.