Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Person Notebook

I received a suitable person notebook at christmas. This notebook should be filled in by an OFSTED inspector in the form of an interview. I called OFSTED and asked why I had been sent it. They replied they did not understand why I had been sent one and to put it in the bin! A week later I was sent another, I called OFSTED again only to be given the same advice! Yet another one was sent to me, again, I gave them a call, to be told that I had to fill it in as there were not enough inspectors to visit all the settings in this part of the country. It took ages, however I did manage it.

Anyway the question I have is has anyone else been sent one of these?

Angie

No, not had one either, is this a part of the "self review" of the new inspection style??

I've been waiting a year for my inspection!!!!!!

Peggy

Do you really think thats what it is! I wish I had been paid at an inspectors rate of pay as it took me hours to complete. Imagine it. Font style comic sans. Size 10 format. 23 pages. It asked questions based on all 14 national standards, as well as my experience and qualifications. It was no problem to complete however the time involved was awful. I've got more than enough to do as it is.

Talk about OFSTED here's another. I took over as supervisor of a Pre-school in September and I duly sent of my DC2A form and included the requested CRB check. I still have not had confirmation they have received it. Anyway, many many phone calls from myself and I finally recieved the information that they have the DC2A but have lost my CRB form. I now have to fill this form in from sctratch.

Problems with my committee and certain members of staff are getting me down really badly at the moment. I'm looking for another job. I'm studying the Foundation degree at the moment but I spend most of my time with the paperwork. The next tma requires me to observe an activity with the children. When am I going to have the time. Being a supervisor really sucks. I will never work as one in the future. I just reread the last sentence and I sound about 14 years of age :o Hee, Hee! Oh well, made myself chuckle :):)

Seriously though I am still looking for another job.

Angie

Ofsted and paperwork is really becoming beyond a joke now :o

How can we constructively deal with this? Could we formulate a joint "complaint" , I don't know, all state our experiences on a single word document that can then be sent to Ofsted and other relevant government people?

Steve any ideas on how this could be done if people on this forum wanted to? or maybe even a poll to start with.

Peggy.

They would probably lose it Peggy :o Like my CRB and several other forms I have sent. Although I think what you are saying is good. It would be good for other settings to put down in black and white their experiences. They inspect us give us their judgements on our settings, why shouldn't it be the other way around. They would slate us if we were to treat them the way they treat us.

Hi Peggy -

I've tried for some time to get Ofsted, the QCA and others to pay some attention to the Forum, with little success I'm afraid!

I'm certainly happy with you setting up polls to back up points of view. I'd prefer them to be worded constructively - if we want to get organisation x to engage with us nothing is less likely to achieve it than asking:

'Do you think organisation x is '

a: rubbish,

b: appalling

c: a twisted abomination with no redeemable qualities...

:)

One benefit we do have is that the DfES Foundation Stage people do take us seriously, and we've had some good discussions with them on a number of subjects. They very definitely do spend time here, reading the subjects that exercise the FS workforce, and I'm spending some time and effort trying to improved those lines of communication.

Steve,

Your time and efforts on developing communication channels with people within government departments ( who can make a difference) are very much appreciated. :D The professional content, in terms of features and topic input, within the forum must be a valuable source of information to government bodies who need to know what is happenening at "the core of policies / strategies into practice"

As I have never done a "Poll" before, can there be more than one question in the same post? If so, maybe I could pose a few with yes/no answers, or measurement of number of incidences, such as;

Have you ever sent DC2 / CRB documents to Ofsted, which have been lost? Yes/No

How many times has correspondence been lost? less than 5, less than 10 etc.

Maybe others can help with what poll questions they would like to pose.

Does this make sense?

Peggy

Oh, just to add a positive / constructive note, the questions could be thought out to show that if the results of the poll show many no answers then overall Oftsed are doing their job well.

Peggy