Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Volcano

I have been working with my class on the topic of Dinosaurs. It has moved onto the children wanting to find out about volcanoes. Obviously with it being in the news the cildren are interested. Has any one done this as a mini topic that would be prepared to share some planning ideas?

We did the volcano topic when the iclandic volcano went off. I showed them a clip from U tube, which had some dramatic music alongside it, and they were really enthused by it. The boys were sat there with some great language coming from them 'wow! Fire, rocks, dust! Ash, some said Lava etc.

We also set up the baking soda/vinegar/red food colouring experiment, making a mini volcano with a bottle inside the sand. The children made us repeat it again and again as they loved it.

We gave them large straws and pots/trays of watery paint and washing up liquid. They experimented with blowing bubbles and making bubble pictures, and some just kept on blowing as the bubbles got more and more and more and looked like their very own eruption.

We had some do collage, with silver foil, foam chips, red paint and we got lots of photo's of our volcano science experiment to display alongside the collages.

HTH

Clare

we also experimented with baking soda.. trying out different things to see what mad it erupt and what didnt... thye enjoyed trying out different things and liked lime juice because of the lovely smell it gave off.. not liking vinegar.. and wondering why water didn't work..

must admit we always used lime juice after that.. we bought it in bottles and it wasn't too costly..

Inge

must admit we always used lime juice after that.. we bought it in bottles and it wasn't too costly..

Ooh I'll remember this next time Inge because I really don't like the smell of vinegar. We did a similar experiment when I didn't have enough baking soda (used cream of tartar too to see which worked best). Love the lemon/lime juice idea!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)