Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure that I've posted this in the right place but am hoping for your advice. We are currently reviewing the books that we have for each child in Reception.

Currently we have a CLL book, PSRN book and CIL book.

Some people think that we should go for one book that contains everything. I have concerns, particularly when we should be doing 1 guided write a week and other focus CLL activities (or PSRN), that certain sections would be filled quickly. I have seen some where everything follows in date order but then I feel I would be trawling through all the time for evidence.

I had thought that we could keep PSRN, change CLL into Writing Book and change the CIL book into a Learning Journey, split into 6 sections, for all observations other than through focus activities. (maybe include section for parental contributions).

What do you do?

Thank you

Mel C :o

I actually only have one book which is for CLL but the children haven't used them loads as lots of the guided writing we have done have been in role or for a specific purpose - e.g writing a letter to a mermaid, its much more relevant and interesting for children to write their letter on a special paper that they post in the letter box and believe is going to be sent than writing it in a book. But still think there is a place for them.

All my PSRN is practical so don't have a book, if children need to record their ideas or number sentences etc they do it on whiteboards or on playground with chalks. The evidence is gathered from observations/photos which I write on sticky labels which are stuck into their learning stories. Child initiated work is added to their learning stories too and I stick it all in chronolgical order due to the fact that so much work/learning/obs cover more than one area of learning. All children have a folder which I add other general bits of work they do, that don't fit into a book.

My art co-ordinator asked that we all had sketch pads this year but I have to admit I have only used them once - do others have one? Do you find them useful and what sort of things do you use them for?

I'm not saying I'm right but it works for us but interested to hear others views.

We have a CLLD book (officially now 'Early language and literacy' - according to a 'CLLD' course I was on last week!!), mostly pieces of CI stuck in or some guided phonics tasks when applying phonics in ability groups. GW tends to be on paper linked to other areas, often made into class books or displays but may be photo copied and kept as a record in CLLD book.

We have always had a 'number' book too, inf act have usually filled two I am ashamed to say, but this year there are only about 5 pieces of work in, we do a lot of practical and oral work, recording tends to be on whiteboards (sometimes photocopied) and we take so many photos (sorted into individual folders for each child each half term, printed off and added to learning journeys).

I am considering a CI book next year to see what they would like to record, and if it changes over the year.

I know we're preschool so it's different, but my children have a clipboard in their trays with different coloured paper on/in that they can get out and draw on when the 'muse' hits them. We can then chose whether the result goes in their special file or straight home or mounted and put on the wall. There's always a packet of white paper available if they want that, I can't really see the benefit of individual drawing books, I guess it's down to taste. I would have thought they were a bit unwieldy for small children and pictures would be either bent over as they access subsequent pages or scuffed if the book was opened fully. a clipboard can be taken outside and plonked on grass that may be dewy without damaging it too

this year we have a general work book for each child for adult led activitiesand they each have a 'my special work book' which is accessible to them any time and is completely whatever they want to do in it (some do lots some nothing!) however the general work both has not been except for one page so next year we are going to have no formal book for the chn at all... they will each have their learning journeys (which we do in date order) and that will be all the evidence! :)

as for the sketch pad... traditionally our chn have had 1 that them follows them up the school. however, as we have again only used these once and most chn dont want to give u their precious pieces of work to put in a book, we are scrapping these also next yr!

Hi

i am in reception class and have no books at all. Most of what we do is practical so we take photos and annotate generally. Any writing that we do is completed on pieces of paper(invitations/ shopping lists/ news) or whiteboards where we photocopy. Each child has a folder which we put all evidence in, this has always been sorted according to 6 areas, however as mentioned earlier once piece may cover lots of areas so next year we are going to compile according to date We will then number on piece of work and also write number on overall FPS sheet so we can see where we have evidence and where we dont. all sounds a bit muddled but makes sense in my head!?? :o

Hi I am in reception also and we moved away from having separate PSRN and Writing books this year.

We have the following:

Learning Journal/Scrapbook - observations, WOW vouchers from home, any recorded work that shows a mark of progress or sometimes we'll decide that everyone's maths/writing will go in that week from a focussed activity. This is our main book.

Writing practice - this is mainly used for name writing practice and reinforcement of handwriting

Note book - each child has their own note book for their mark making

Sound book - a book that we use in sound groups to practise writing sounds and word building to save the use of endless pieces of paper

Any other bits of paper go in a folder in their drawers.

We also have once a term books that are used across the school to track progress.

I hope that helps a little.

We have 1 book for everything that could be recorded during focused small group activities and handwriting practice. It is also used as a planning diary for the children to write/draw what their plan for the CI time is going to be - handy for review time. Some of them are just about half-way through. Any scraps worth saving go in a folder.

Guest Cathryn1974
Hi

i am in reception class and have no books at all. Most of what we do is practical so we take photos and annotate generally. Any writing that we do is completed on pieces of paper(invitations/ shopping lists/ news) or whiteboards where we photocopy. Each child has a folder which we put all evidence in, this has always been sorted according to 6 areas, however as mentioned earlier once piece may cover lots of areas so next year we are going to compile according to date We will then number on piece of work and also write number on overall FPS sheet so we can see where we have evidence and where we dont. all sounds a bit muddled but makes sense in my head!?? :o

Hi

Our EYFS Advisor has recommended one book. This book must contain 80% child intiated evidence and 20% adult led evidence so we can make our judgements for the EYFSP at the end of the year, based mainly on CI learning. I think this is a good thing to have one book as so many learning opportunities are across the 6 areas and it helps us to help the children make those links.

HTH

CathrynX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)