Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Shape

I'm feeling a bit uninspired these holidays. I've done 2D and 3D shape with my class before so they know all about them and can talk about most of the features, but I need to do a 'refresher' week on them as we haven't touched on them since the beginning of this year. Anyone know any good activities I could do? I've had a look around but the ones I've seen seem mostly for the first introduction to the shapes and as its a year one class who have done it before they are a bit past those activities.

I made a SMART resource that's good for recapping 2D shape. (I've not got my pen drive with me so can't put it on, sorry) It was really simple to make. I had a seperate page for each shape and made a big shape and locked it onto the middle of the page. Then I made a pen the same colour as the background and coloured all over the shape so it looked like an empty page. I did this on each page and then used the eraser tool to gradually find the shape, usually finding one corner at a time and asking the children to guess what shape it is. Once they get the idea I let them have a go at finding the shape.

Also asked lots of questions throughout, e.g. what shape is it? If it is a hexagon how many corners will we find? etc and get them to point to the corners and count them once the shape is fully revealed.

One piece of advise tho if you are going to make something similar, each time you use it swap the pages round, otherwise the children will learn the order and know what each shape is before you even start to reveal it!!

My year ones loved the treasure hunt game where we'd hide shapes around their setting and they'd score a point for each one they could find, another for saying its name and a bonus point if they could give 2 describing sentences, they used to work in teams and then re hide them!

Also had shapes in mystery bag and would describe it and they'd guess what was there - old hat I know but it worked to get them interested at the start. They'd then repeat this in pairs.

We'd let them play with 3d bricks initially, amazing what they can remember when constructing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)