Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spinning Wool

Hello everyone...

Just planning a lesson explaining the Journey from Sheep to Jumper....

I have bought a real sheep's feel, some unspun wool, some spun and undyed wool and wool that has been spun and died...

The activity suggests that you let them have a go at spinning some fleece between their fingers......How do they do this? Sorry if this seems a silly question....but is this just wrapping it round your fingers?

Also could anyone possibly help me in explaining this process to 5 year olds without being too complicated? As you can see I dont knit.....so no idea how you use a spinning wheel...

Thank you for your help

Don't know to be honest but I always thought it was a case of teezing some fibres from the mass and the rubbing it between forefinger and thumb! Absolutely no other suggestions I'm afraid - let's hope for better to come along, sounds like a lovely learning journey for the children to experience.

Are you going to have a knitting Nanna come in - or do you knit yourself?

Edited by Panders

Don't know to be honest but I always thought it was a case of teezing some fibres from the mass and the rubbing it between forefinger and thumb! Absolutely no other suggestions I'm afraid - let's hope for better to come along, sounds like a lovely learning journey for the children to experience.

Are you going to have a knitting Nanna come in - or do you knit yourself?

Awww that is a lovely idea....i will try to get a knitting nana in!

Any ideas about how i could explain the process of spinning to the 5 year olds without making it too complicated....is it like plating hair?

Sarah x

No nothing like plaiting hair

basically you pull the wool out while twisting it with the thumb and fore finger of the other hand the tricky bit is not snapping it and keeping it the same thickness. I've used a simple wooden spindle with 3-5 year olds and they manage really well and have great fun. The children should be able to see the twist makes the wool stronger.

No nothing like plaiting hair

basically you pull the wool out while twisting it with the thumb and fore finger of the other hand the tricky bit is not snapping it and keeping it the same thickness. I've used a simple wooden spindle with 3-5 year olds and they manage really well and have great fun. The children should be able to see the twist makes the wool stronger.

Where did you get the wooden spindle from?

Thank you

Thank you for replies...

Do you think this lesson will be ok for an observation......KUW objectives?

As I have bought all the resources and its very hands on?

Thank you

Do you think this lesson will be ok for an observation......KUW objectives?

I'm in pre-school so I can't help there, but since I see from your profile that you're a teacher I'm going to put it in the Key Stage 1/Reception area of the Forum and out of EYPS!

Maz

to model spinning by hand what I'd do is hold clump of wool in you stronger hand between thumb and finger hanging down, then slowly pull up with this hand turning clockwise (like grinding pepper mill!) whilst with your other hand gently tease wool downwards turning anti clockwise. I am modelling in front of the computer but not sure if words match my actions!!

also remember making a spindle from a cd, pencil, potato and a blob of plasticine covered in clingfilm on a course. I enjoyed it and I'm a big kid so sure your class will too. Don't panic about your observation you'll be fine x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)