Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does Outstanding Matter To Parents?

Hi

We were rated in November as oustanding in all areas

As you can imagne we are over the moon that all our hard work had been recognised

We thought lots more parents would want to use us

BUT, we are losing three children in July for a Sept start to other settings

Settings which are attached to schools rated 2 -satisfactory 1 - good

When I asked the parents why, it was because, they will be going to school there, so best start them while there is a place.

I dont think parents /carers mind at all the Ofsted rating as long as its above Satisfactory

Because Outstanding still dosent stop the children leaving for a "school preschool"

What does anyone else think ?

Well, I think we should be striving to be the best we can be, professionally - but that parents will always put their child in a setting that they feel best suits them and their lifestyle/needs and that might not necessarily mean that the setting being outstanding is their highest priority.

Cx

Although we were rated "good" by Ofsted in January I'm pleased to say some, if not all, of our parents rate us as "outstanding" taken from the survey results over the last 18 months. I value parents judgements over Ofsted anyday, they have seen us warts and all everyday not just for one day.

So as far as I am concerned Ofsted ratings don't mean anything to our parents as before January we had to live with being "satisfactory", according to the big "O", for the last four years.

Well thats my opinion anyway, sorry if it sounds like a rant!

BMG

Well that was the point I was trying to make, the ofsted result dosent mean alot to parents, the setting being outstanding is not their highest priority.

So what is do you think?

Edited by Guest

i think they are moving them to suit thier needs - dosnt mean your 'outstanding' is going unnoticed - its a huge achievemnet that prospective parents will be drawn too ... congratulations :o

i think they are moving them to suit thier needs - dosnt mean your 'outstanding' is going unnoticed - its a huge achievemnet that prospective parents will be drawn too ... congratulations :o

I agree with Hali, an outstanding Ofsted rating is something that will draw in prospective parents, rather than prevent parents moving children to suit their needs. Get out there and shout about it from the rooftops, you should be proud of yourselves and hopefully it will draw in some fresh parents and children! xD

Edited by Guest

Guest EllieF

If you link with local schools, you could use this as a selling point.

A local setting that links closely with a local school and is also outstanding will encourage familes to choose you over the attached setting.

Do you have close links with local schools? Do reception teachers visit you? Can you join with them e.g. harvest festivals, use their large hall for a christmas play?

Just trying to think of ways you can compete with the attached nurseries links with the school. What kind of numbers of children move onto which schools? Can you evaluate this and use it to your advantage?

Instead of seeing barriers, its often a good idea to try and find solutions if you can, and improve what you offer even further i.e. meeting a need that parents have and is causing you to lose children.

You may well have thought of these ideas already :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)