Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Return To School

Hi,

Tomorrow I start my phased return to school but it has been spread over 6 weeks rather than 4 to give me time to ease back in gently. So I am doing 2 days this week, 2 days after half term and then 2 weeks of 3 days, 2 weeks of 4 days and then full time which will take us to the end of term. I am meeting the head tomorrow to find out what she wants me to do this week but I won't be teaching until after half term and then it will be on a gradual basis. I am feeling much stronger but slightly apprehensive about tomorrow as it feels strange to be thinking about school again and I wonder what it will be like being with the other staff again. I have a meeting planned for friday where the head wants to talk about the causes of my stress (why I was off) and to discuss my role and performance within the school. Although that feels quite threatening my life coach will be with me and she has said we must use it as a positive experience to ask for some of the changes that I have asked for during the last few years but that have never happened.

I wanted to thank you all for your support during the last few months and to say that having people on here who have listened and responded to me has been really helpful and I really appreciate it. I am not sure what the future holds but the banking job wasn't quite right so doing nothing about that at the moment. I think I will take things slowly and see how it goes and then decide whether this is where I really want to be or whether being at home or doing something different is right. I guess until I am back in school I can't really tell what feels best and as this friday is the last day for resigning that seems too soon to make a decision.

Can you please send positive thoughts and prayers for tomorrow?

Thank you again for helping me get to this point.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Ooh Nicky - exciting and scary at the same time :o

Remember you're in a much better place in your life now than you were when you were last in school, you'll have your life coach there to support you through your meeting and a fantastic chance to have your say with your Head - all those little niggles and requests that haven't been addressed can be discussed and hopefully implemented. Make sure you (and/or your life coach) take notes and copy the Head in on them - it'll be hard for them to be "overlooked" then xD

I'm a great believer in things happening for a reason and perhaps that's why your phased return date makes it too soon to consider resigning - you'd be too big a loss as a teacher and the banking job didn't seem to fit well with your family commitments. I'm sure your daughters would far rather have you at home with them during the school holidays :(

You take care and enjoy your first day back. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nona x

Thanks, it was strange to be back and no plan had been worked out despite a promise it would be, so was asked to spend time working with children in yr2 and yr3 and not my Reception class. It felt fine being with them and I guess the head feels she is being supportive by not asking me to teach my class yet or to work with too many children yet. Quite enjoyed being able to give children more attentive support and I have suggested that I work with one child again tomorrow and in the future as she seems to hav emelted into the class and been lost under other more dominant special needs (according to the Deputy Head). Felt fine being with other staff and people were really welcoming and seemed genuinely pleased to see me. I have a meeting tomorrow to reflect on my stress triggers and review the past year but my life coach is coming along to support me which I am really pleased about.

Thanks again for your thoughts and mesages please continue to think of me tomorrow and that things can be sorted out in a positive and supportive rather than overly critical way.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Glad it went well, Nicky, and hope tomorrow does, too.

Wonder how prepared the Head will be for your meeting?! It sounds as if you'll be FAR more prepared than she will be :o

Nona