Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Or Second Person

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Just wondering whether it is expected for me to write my next essay in the first or second person for university level?

It seems so different to my other studies and somehow I've missed which tense to write in - any help??

Spiral :o

I imagine it would depend on the title of the assignment. If it a reflective piece, then it would be about you, so you would be saying "I did" etc. If it a standard academic piece, then it s not about your opinions, but about the research and evidence. So "practitioners" etc.

Guest Spiral
that's first or third. Second person is "you" lol

I realised that just after I posted - whoops a daisy! xD

It's been ages since I wrote and I think my nerves are creeping in! Right now I'd be happy writing about my cat - or the goldfish - or doing a shopping list;

It is possible that one may prefer to purchase a larger package of baked bean!! lol :(:(:o:(

Hi Spiral

It may depend and what level the course is at, and whether it is a reflective account of your practice.

Certainly in my level 1 studies with the OU it has been OK to use I..... However, at level 2 I now have to say ' this essay will explain'.

HTH

May be worth asking your tutor as mine is so supportive and helps me iron out simple things like this..... even as silly as they seem and it does depend on course like others here have mentioned

All our stuff has to be written in the third person which is a bit of a pain when its a practice evidence report! Have to think a bit creatively so as no to over repeat phrases such as "it is the practioners practice to ......" etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)