Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm So Mad!

Rea

The committee gave us a letter to give out to parents today. It states the role of the committee... I seriously dont know what I'm there for anymore. I apparently dont do anything! I dont give out letters, I dont have to be accountable to Ofsted, I dont take fee's, I dont have responsibilty for staff training or appraisals, I dont encourage parents to go on the help rota, I dont organise fundraising, I dont buy new equipment and I dont amend policies either. I turn up at 9am, play till 11.30, go home and do jack. Any parent reading it will think 'I dont fancy joining the committee but the staff job seems like a doddle.' And if any of our commitee are reading this, be ashamed. :o

But on a more positive note, I now have a name for myself!!

Thanks for the chance to rant. I am calm now xD

Oh Rea believe me i know the feeling, the other month whilst appointing a new member of staff i was told by the chair that it was a committee decision who was appionted not a staff decision!!!! other things have happened since then too and i feel very much like you!!!!

Glad you feel a little better after your rant.... :D

oh i know how you feel !!!

my current committee not to bad, but last ones, well, they did my appraisal, knew nothing about how a setting should be run and didnt even ask me about furthering my training, i had to explain to them what i was doing and why. they questioned me on some of my practices, had to ask them to refer to policies as its them that make the practice, not my personal opinion. then we needed a new child protection policy, and yes guess who was asked to write it - ME, they said they didnt know what was ment to be in it. same as they didnt now how to run a setting.

i to feel parents are not aware of the role of the leader in the setting, maybe you should put out a letter stating the role of your job, and explain exactly how much you do, dont think parents understand the amount of work that goes into it all, and it really bugs me when the committee take the credit for it. ive been up hours on the computer preparing things, i prepared a business plan for our new building, the committee took it to the building company and said how well prepared it was. they never came back to me and said it was good and thanks for doing such a great job.

one year i got so fed up with it, i gave a copy of the pla roles of the committee handouts and highlighted all the things on their which i do, and shouldnt be doing as it was their role. that went down well (not) but did make them see how much i do in the setting as well as from home.

as least you know that all of us here at the forum know how hard you work, and im sure your setting wouldnt be the same without you.

ruthie

Stark raving bonkers if you ask me Rea. :(xD Oh, sorry, now I've read your post I realise I've misunderstood. :o:D

The joys of committees! At least the ones I have at the moment recognise how much I do and show their appreciation, which is a big improvement on last year. :( Not much longer for you though Rea. And by the way, what is your name?

I thought after I'd posted that the title might be confusing Beau :o But I suppose you could be right. xD

The name is 'MUG'. Pure and simple. How many other proffessions allow staff to be ignored and unappriciated like we are? OK, so probably loads but honestly! Parents will be reading that and thinking the staff really do do nothing but 'play' (and we all know what a waste of time that is) All I ever hear is how much work the committee do and 'it's all unpaid you know' as if I draw a kings ransome every week, and have overtime! Only two chances of that happening...fat chance and no chance. :wacko: All the letter needed was two words added 'alongside staff' I would have been ok with that, it's just the total lack of recognition and acknowlegement. I've childishly (recognising ofcourse that children are better than this) put myself on a work to rule this afternoon. All the stuff that was coming home with me in securely locked in the cupboard ready to give chair in the morning. What a model employee. :(:( Ah well, cant sack me now. :(

Ruhtie, I have thought about putting our role to parents but dont want to embrioll the rest of the staff in my indignation (they're more accepting than me with it for some unfathomable reason) Not that they dont deserve it! But I think I'll wait for my exit interview, thats going to be SO interesting :o:D

Sorry but I find it amusing that yuo dont give out letters but what have they asked you to do?? Not much longer... perhaps they are trying to make a point... other staff dont do the jobs so why shouldnt they be more accepting. They may support you (if you are lucky) but who does the work??

I had one committee that did this and refused to do any of the jobs they told me they did and just handed it back to them undone. I felt so long as the children got the best care then they could do the rest. I was lucky, they found out how muxch time it all took and ended up with overtime pay and additional hours to do paperwork. now any new committee just follows their lead.....and we get a pay bonus in the summer of 2 weeks wages to help with lack of wages in August.......Ofsted now............

Inge