Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sensory (messy) Play

Hi, does anyone know of any document, research etc on the benefits of sensory play especially food products jelly etc. Need to provide a solid reason for using these.

Thx

There is a school of thought that using food encourages wastefulness. I dont like food being used for the simple reason I've seen children play with food as an activity and then later are told off for playing with their lunch.

Heres a fab document a lady at uni forwarded to me, she used it to support her EYPS baby placement, I will certainly be passing it onto my parents and staff

Here's a link to a article about sensory play short article you can always refer to, there are numerous similar ones if you just google 'sensory play'

there are a few books on amazon about sensory play, pretty sure if you have any books/articles on babies and under threes it will discuss the benefits of exploring bodies and play through the senses-Elinor Goldschmied discusses heuristic play if that is close enough link?

Birth to Three Matters will have lots on sensory play- the B-3M Review by David et al. also discusses it

...haven't seen anything specifically about the use of food, it is controversial with some but taste is a sense so we need food to experiment with... on Embarassing Bodies the psychologist used food play- using the senses to explore the food- with a little boy who didn't eat very well in order to work through his issue with food

can't think of anything else for now , hope that helps though!

messy_play_ideas.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)