Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dual Language Signs

We have been told by our QA mentor that we need to have dual language signs for the different areas in the pre-school, such as sand and water play etc. We have a welcome poster on the door in various languages but that is it. Does anybody know where or how I might access such signs? We have two children in the group who both speak different languages, will I have to have signs for each of them? What do other members do?

Thanks in anticipation! :)

Linda

Dual language has never been a real thing for us, but we are being urged to use special signs for children who may have communication difficulties.

There's been a site recommended on here twice at least to my knowledge, once quite recently, but I just can't find it! pecs or something . Help? Also might be of some help to you?????

Sue :o

I think the site I used was inter-trans. Not entirely certain but if you type in a search for translations you should find something. Be careful though some site charge a fee. :D

Have a look at www.mantralingua.com

The have a number of multi language posters and school signs such as Toilet - Office etc. Also playgroup signs such as Writing area - Art area etc.

Plus some lovely dual language books.

We have 24 languages in our school so its impossible to cater for all of them - the majority of our children speak Mirpuri anyway which I believe is only a verbal language!

We use Mantralingua too, we also have contacts at our LEA that can translate for us.

With so few children who speak different languages, would the parents be able to help in any way?

we usually ask the parents to translate the words we reuqire for us. They are often very supportive, but i have had one who objected and said that she did not want her child to use the mother tongue at pre-school she was to use english only!!

This year we have 5 differnt languages, not as many as magenta but for this area it is unusal to have so many. what with spanish, french, portuguese, chinese, malayalam, plus a set of twins with twin speak the signs would be a bit long!

(the twins have their own language and we have tell them that we are not xxx and to speak in english as we cannot understand. It works)

we did put up signs when we had one language and we do have books in all the dual languages above .. except twins speak!!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)