Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teachers Tv

Am I the only person to admit to having watched and enjoyed some of the stuff on teachers TV?

I thought some of you might be interested but this saturday there is a block just for early years about outdoor play and play. I caught one of these before and wished in retrospect i had recorded it for future use, perhaps showing clips to parents etc...

Early learning advisors promote learning through play

Next showing: Sat 5 Mar 11.00am

Worth checking out from time to time whats on I think through their website.

http://www.teachers.tv/subjectBlock.do?tra...=68281&zoneId=1

I recorded a block of early years programmes in the early hours of today - Daily Routines, Puppets, Outdoor Play and Learning Opportunities.Watched them this afternoon as I had a day off due to snow. They were very well done and gave me some new ideas.

Miichaelle,

Thanks for the reminder ( even though I had read the other post ) and thanks for the link, teachers t.v. is now added to my ever increasing list of "favourites".

Peggy

I'll be watching too ... or rather videoing it (planning takes on priority on a Saturday) - after reading through all the brill stuff on here :D It will be really interesting to see what we all think of it. I hope they a good selection of Early Years stuff and don't neglect us for KS1,2,3,(4). I registered on the website and noticed they didn't have us down as a seperate group - just had to put KS1. Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps we should all make a comment.

Now, have I got a video?

Harricroft

I don't know if I'm being a bit dense, but I tried to record the Early Years programmes that were scheduled to be on this afternoon at 5pm. However, when going to the teachers tv channel through my Freeview box, I am shown a blank screen telling me it only broadcasts between midnight and 6am. I can't find any info on the website. What am I doing wrong?

Yes I was ready to watch the programmes at 11 am on Sat morning- just the screen telling me 12-5 am!

Did any one else get to see the programmes on Saturday??

I have freeview as well and cannot get anything in the day but I think it is all repeated on freeview between 12 and 6am.

I just had a look at the website and I think it shouls be possible to record the early years programmes, outdoor play etc between 2am and 3am on monday night/ tuesday morning - that's what I am going to try anyway!

I set it up to record from 11 am and as far as I know it has but I havent checked it yet as I didnt stay in. I will let you know.

It was broadcast cos I watched the programmes before about primary ICT :o

so I dont know why you didnt get it Jackie. I will try and do some investigating.

The link should take you to info on website

http://www.teachers.tv/subjectBlock.do?tra...=68281&zoneId=1

I think the reason that I can't get it during the day is that I have Freeview. If you have satellite or cable you can access the channel at anytime, but only midnight to 6am through Freeview. This isn't obvious on the website, but I think this must be the case. I am ready to set the recorder tonight to tape at 2am tomorrow morning. Hope I'm not disappointed this time.

I watched it (and managed to tape it) but I was watching on Sky not Freeview. I enjoyed it - I think it's worth setting the video for. I always complain that we don't have a decent outdoor area but the activity it showed - although they had loads of space - was something that could, I think, be adapted to any outdoor area/playground as the practitioners just took out loads of different equipment.

Hope your overnight videoing works

Harricroft

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michelle,

You are not the only one who has watched the Teachers channel. I have manged to watch them on my computer by downloading them. I'm absolutley hopeless when it comes to using the video recorder. I always seem to record something I didn't intend to. I have watched all of the early years programmes this way. I liked the one about puppets. You could have a go at watching the programmes on your computer . I found it much easier than trying to work out how to use the video recorder. These programmes are worth viewing.

Thanks Kathleen - I hadn't spotted the download feature on the website - am now downloading the programme about outdoor play.

Was disappointed that I couldn't select Foundation Stage or Early years in the 'My Teacher's TV' page though.

I'm looking forward to watching them all - especially interested in the 'anticipation box' mentioned in the one about routines!

Maz

Hi Maz

I had forgotten about the anticipation box. this a really lovely idea. you will enjoy watching it . I will be using this as an end of the day activity I think.I will keep you posted and let you know if it works for me. If you decide to use it let me know how you get on.

I just watched the outdoor play video Kathleen - great stuff. I particularly liked the idea of hammering golf tees into the pumpkins with mallets, and banging the sticks into the ground. Very interesting what they were saying about children needing to use real tools to build up strength in hands, arms and shoulders in order to develop skills for writing.

Very easy to download the videos, and watching them on my laptop with headphones connected means I don't have to negotiate with my children for tv time!

Maz

I watched only half of the program (Early years) Outdoor play was fantastic, but I wanted to see Daily routine, I will try cath up on monday. Just to say that I am very intetrested in this program. It is usefull also becouse I am doing NVQ 3 at the moment. I just finished M7 and going on to M8, that's why I wanted to see routine program

Just wanted to say that I've now downloaded all the Early Years programmes, and have watched all except the puppets one.

As I work in one of the many groups operating out of a village hall, I usually watch these types of programme through envious eyes - if only we had dedicated premises, bigger budgets etc. These programmes are well made, the presenters have a lot of experience and offer ideas which I felt could be adapted for use in our own group. I was particularly pleased to keep a mental tally during the 'Routines' video of all the things we already do in our group!

Am I allowed to say that I shall burn the programmes to DVD and give them to my colleagues to watch? Or am I breaking some kind of copyright law?

Maz

Interesting point! I videoed (how do you spell that?) it for myself as it was on at 2 am. I enjoyed it enormously and was eager to share it with my colleagues and have already passed the video on.... oops! Are we breaking any copyright things I wonder.........

On another point - can anyone think of a seasonal equivalent of the pumpkin for hammering golf tees into. I think a melon might not be as resilient and might split under an enthusiastic hammer.............. maybe large potatoes (how do you spell that too!)

Hi Lisa

Just back from a trip to Tesco (gee my life's glamorous). My eyes settled on the largest swede you've ever seen: just the thing (I'd have thought) to stand in the for the pumpkin. Worth a try do you think?

Maz

Hi, watched some of teachers TV today (art in KS1 & 2) and there was an "advert" in between programmes showing a schoolboy bringing videos of teachers tv in to school for his teacher. Other programmes can be video-ed for children to watch, so I don't think that you need to worry about recording them for staff to watch,

Jackie

Just to add, I also watched these 4 programmes a few weeks ago, especially enjoying the outdoor play one. I want to show some clips at my induction meeting for parents if possible...

However, before this programme came on I watched some teachers TV & was concerned that there was no representation of the EY sector - so I emailed them to let them know. They emailed back to tell me that there is no intention to provide any regular programming about the Foundation Stage.

I think this is a bit of a slap in the face actually - would it be worth other people contacting them to make the same point? KS1,2,3 & 4 are well represented on the show after all (but I don't think it goes in for anything post 16 either).

Just a thought,

Dianne

Good idea Dianne - I'll get onto it!

I was already peeved that when I registered I couldn't select 'Foundation Stage' as my primary area of interest.

Perhaps I'll mention that, too!

Maz

Great news!

I haven't had a reply to my email yet, other than a 'we will get back to you within two days' automated response.

I raised the issue of early years programmes, and asked if they would amend their registration to allow users to select early years as their primary interest (if only to enable them to collect information about the numbers of early years practitioners who are registering).

My breath is baited, awaiting their response..,

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)