Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reducing Hours/cutting Costs

I know some HR but not everything and although I can ring our solicitors I want to know now so I can relax over the weekend!

Our girls have contracts (which we are looking to redo to update slightly) and one girl is contracted to 30 hours however since the previous manager left 5 months ago she has been working more.

I want to try and reduce her back to 30 but is this legal, I heard that if someone works certain hours for a period of time they become their new contracted hours?

Anyone have any clue?!

Try ACAS website they have most things on employment law. if you can't find it try business link they again have alot of information. If you can't find it on the websites then give them a ring and explain your problem and they will be able to put you in touch with some who can help.

Good luck

So true Cait! I think she'll be miffed if I were to reduce her hours back down to her contract. Such a minefield.

Thanks for your reply Steph :o

Acording to ACAS you both have to agree to the changes in the contract ,but doesn't say anything about reverting to the contracted hours, so I assume because her contract is 30 hours and there has been no written agreement for the extra that you will be fine to change again. Just explain to her that there is no need for her to do the extra now and financially you can't afford to pay her for extra when not needed, she may be a bit fed up about it but at least she still has 30 hours! :o

Hi, could it be worth adding a line to future contracts stating hours may be reduced/increased at short notice to cope with session demands, natural fluctuations throughout the year ie. September school starters etc

Thanks for your replies.

Gingerbreadman that's a good idea, I've got a meeting with the consultant company in May so will push to get new contracts done.