Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sickness-48hr Rule

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hi,

we have a new starter, a little girl who is now one of our eldest children. She's particularly clingy to dad when she comes in and Dad has told me that when she's really really upset, she can sometimes be sick.

Last week it happened and we followed the rules, called the parents and they took her home. However, this morning I got a letter in from them stating that they feel their child shouldn't be sent home if she's sick because it is due to her being upset and she won't be ill or contagious.

I'm not convinced that it's a good enough argument, after all, what if she was ill and did have a bug and we didin't send her home?

Any thoughts please? I'm feeling a bit stuck on this one, should I ask for a medical letter supporting the parent's thoughts?

What do you think?

Thank you,

Spiral.

My friend's daughter is sick if she gets too hot!

Her parents and school have reached an agreement where, if she is sick she is collected and taken home. If she is not sick again she is allowed to return the next morning.

Nona

actually this is really hard isn't it?

Initially, I agree that sick is sick - there shouldn't be exceptions, it will only confuse those other parents who think it is OK for a child to come in when they were sick over their breakfast... :o

But then again, by sending her home you are re-inforcing the behaviour as she is getting what she wants through being sick - upset and being left so is sick then gets parents back....

Don't think I can really advise but I having just done a child psychology course I think you need to break the cycle and let her stay if all other signs are that she is well.

Sorry if that's not much help.

xD

I agree with mps here. If the child has been upset and is sick she should stay in school. If on the other hand, she is sick some considerable time after parents have left then I think you can send her home but should she be ok at home ie no further symptoms then she could be returned without further exclusion.

We have a little boy who does this. Any morning that he comes in looking upset we have the bowl to hand because he will be sick. But as soon as we have cleaned him up he is all smiles and goes off to play. Obviously if he looked poorly or had a temperature after being sick we would send him home but in this case we let him stay because it is the way he reacts to stress. No parents have questioned it but if they did we would have to explain this I feel and that it is different to when children are ill.

we too have had this.. and we did as some others have, kept the child and always had the bowl to hand on arrival...

we felt the need to break the cycle that had been happening in a previous setting where she was always excluded for the 'sickness' rule, but it was not due to a bug but something she had learnt would bring mum back..

I took about 3 weeks of her coming daily to stop the actual vomiting, so long as she knew the bowl was there.. it was only about a week later when she started running in and happy to stay..

No parent ever questioned it, but I was ready with the explanation as wto why... they all seemed to understand and sympathise with us and the parents..

Thinking back this has often happened over the years... and was a case of assess each one and make a decision , not a blanket policy for all which was adhered to..

Inge

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)