Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help - Dont Know Where To Begin!?

Ok, so have been to visit a nursery school and decided to take the plunge and apply for the job! Its for assistant head of the school and I am currently FS leader of a school attached to CC. I am trying to write my letter of application and i dont know where to begin or what I should def include - anyone got any hints tips or ideas for me I could really do with the help.

thanks ems

Use the job description if you have one and make notes about the points it raises. That'll give you a good starting point. Try not to waffle too much - and remember it's a fine line between 'blowing your own trumpet' and bragging. I've had a few application letters that were a 'turn off', although I accept that it's a really hard thing to do, really well.

Although you are a leader at the moment, a deputy head role will hold far more responsibilities, obviously. Do you know what exactly they will be? ie what the differences between your current role and the new one will be? I think I'd start from there, and make a list of my qualities and experience which would help me to deal with the new role. For example, you may be required to hold supervisory meetings with a large number of staff. How might you go about doing these? That sort of thing..... :o

Hi ems. I would organize your letter by taking each part of the person spec in turn, and briefly stating how you meet it, using examples if you can form your current practice. Try to cover the key points but dont make your letter too long.. Im guessing that you will have an application form as well?

Really obvious points, but do check grammar and spelling, so that your letter looks very professional and is easy to read.

If there are a couple of examples of where you don't think you quite meet the spec, you can indicate this by saying something like 'I would welcome further opportunity to develop.....' or something similar. This gives a clear indication that you are aware of things you don't know but are willing to learn. Is there any requirement for you to do the NPQH or NPQICL or be willing to?

Good luck with it, I'm sure we'll be looking forward to the the post that says ''Ive got an interview....'

thank you so much Mundia that was a really helpful post and I am going to do that right now!

Keep your fingers crossed for me - hopefully I will be able to write that pot!!

ems

Sorry ems, that would have been my suggestion to but I forgot to check this one and Mundia has beaten me to it.

When I have written a letter of application I have always organised my letter with actual headings relating to the person spec and if necessary omitted them before sending. I was once told that my application had been the best they had seen---shame I didnt manage the interview that well! :o

Good luck.