Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do Managers Do It!

Well it was first day back after a lovely Easter Holidays and it was soooooo busy..... how do other managers do it, i'm included in the ratios so this morning i took in all the paperwork to file i had done over the holidays, even went in half an hour early to file it all(7.30am), and it didnt happen, when i arrived at the setting other groups had left the place in a mess so spent my half an hour tidying, then we had to set everything up, one member of staff phoned in sick this morning, so short staffed!!!!!! then the children arrive full of energy and very excited to be back, as one member of staff down i didn't get any lunch as i did the lunch club, do the afternoon session, pack everything back in the cupboard and still i haven't done my paperwork, instead i have brought it all home again!!!!!

How do other managers do the paperwork and still be included in the ratios..... if i dont go in early, which i'm not paid for or stay late, i dont get a chance to organise anything at the setting..... i complete it all at home but just cant seem to find the time to file and organise it at the setting..........

Ok Rant over...... its just sometimes i wish we had more staff to staff the sessions......as we are committee run, in a pack away setting its difficult

Now i have to do my BA Hons work............................it never ends........aaghhhhhh!!!!

Is all the paperwork for you? Can you delegate some of the filing? I get in early too, in order to check round and put things away and get things out. Sometimes I even have time for a quick cuppa!!(usually drunk 'on the hoof')

I stay late and do a bit, but I prefer to do the bulk of the paperwork at home and I try to do it in the 'window' before Zebedee gets home, if I can - it's not always possible.

Yes it a necessary evil. I went in for 2 hours during the holidays to file paperwork. I get home from pack-away pre-school at 3.30.ish and have been reprinting paperwork and redoing fees because many parents want to now change sessions. Also I have just received the funding forms so they have to be done.Its now 5.30 will put it away for another evening.

Funding forms are on my list too..............................

i'll probably feel better about it when i finish my BA( just a few months to go!!!then EYPS finishes at xmas)...... its just a juggling act and for some unknown reason its really getting to me today............................time for chocolate i think!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

i am lucky, i am extra all the time, but still dont have time, dont know how i used to do it before i demanded it

also have an administrator who does all the fees and money, so we are still waiting for the funding form! not arrived yet

but i still have a constant to do list, took me all day to do the registers for the rest of the week, ok should have done over the weekend! but instead i enjoyed the sun

had 4 children change days today so had to amend loads of things

we are pack away, i get in at 8 to set up with one other person, then kids in at 9, dont really start my work till 10 sorting stuff out first! finish at 3 3 days and 12 other 2. so not a lot of time left, then there is showing people around!

just sent out all the letters for what they want next year so that starts again! hehehe

and just sat here since 4, while putting tea on doing bits and bobs! gotta print them tomorrow as my printer is at work as i took it in today

i find it is always a catching up challenge i dont want to spend all my holiday and rest time working, if i did i might catch up, but heyho tomorrow is another day

I can empathise with you totally. Easter hols? yep - spent most of them filing, printing, etc. Got back to work to find phone messages from the local authority for more paperwork to be done asap .......argh!!!

The paperwork can't be offloaded, and we too are in a put a way pre school so know the joys of arriving early and going home late (unpaid) and arriving to a messy room on occasions. BUT

Love my work with the kids though, so all the paperwork has to come home as we have no office, internet, landline, etc at work.

In a nutshell the answer to your question How do managers do it is:-

We just do! We keep on doing it in our own time...

Wish I had something constructive to add but I'm afraid I'm in the same boat - stacks of paperwork + degree stuff it really does get beyond a joke sometimes and angels and patience spring to mind.

Spent whole of lovely sunny Friday sorting out paperwork and going through filing cabinet and taking on staff.

Today I member of staff down due to son v. inconveniently breaking arm yesterday (he's had op and is ok xD:( ) but (unsympathetically :o he has had whole of easter hols to do this)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All children v. excited to be back and then had a safeguarding issue :(

All part of life's rich tapestry.

How lovely to log on and see so many kindred spirits...same for me...I went in t 7.30 to get a headstart (also about 8-9 hours in the holidays as well to get things up together) and still behind and stressed by the end of the day...loads of new stuff today - 3 new starters - 3 new files - etc etc queries - changes of days - staff sick - one signed off for two weeks (told me today!) - calls for new September starters - unexpected prospective parent turns up - - my consolation is that I have done the degree but it certainly doesnt get easier when you finish because we all take on more.....and more...and their is soooo much to do all the time.......I have to say it was really lovely to see the children today though I have missed them....just dont miss the hoops we have to jump through whilst we fear the knock on the door.... xD:o

Edited by Guest

Guest Spiral

same here - feel like the hoop to jump through somethimes gets higher and higher and I'll need stilts to reach it!

Simalr today as many of you have said, staff off sick, prospetive parents etc, but I do have one day as a paperwork day and that is supposed to lessen the load, however, each time I should be doing paperwork, something happens and I end up on the floor!

In principle the day off of the floor works, but in practice it can be difficult to step back.

Another thing I have considered is not having my own key children or lessening the amount I have.

Wish I had a magic wand!

Spiral.

Hi,

Yes all in the same boat. I went in early and couldn't get the door open with my key so had to get a parent to break the back door and get a locksmith to fix the front door by the time I went home. So bang went my early start!

Paperwork comes home most evenings, writing reports and paying bills as there is always something more important to do during the day.

Love the job so must be mad!

Totally feeling your pain.....

No internet or office time at work. Do all the paperwork at home, go in early, unpack the paper work. Get everything out of the cupboard (pack away setting ) to access filing cabinet etc. Set up some furniture, find a mess left by other groups, where are our chairs etc.? Other staff arrive, ask me loads of questions, kids come in, rush around talking to chair person, filling in petty cash folder, answering phone, show someone round, direct parent helper, find the doobrey for someone, interact with a child (!)can I just change the ink in the printer? Printer jams, running activity with children, going outside to play (essential part of ratio) take the lid off 10 yogurts, peel 7 satsumas, let parents in, discuss something with chair person, then treasurer. helpful staff start putting furniture away so can no longer access paperwork shelf. End up taking filing home again. Resolve to come in at 7am the next day.

Had our calmest Monday morning ever today. Why? We usually come in to lots of nasty surprises in the hall after the holidays so I sneaked in yesterday(Sunday) and spent 2 hours (unpaid) setting up AND doing that blasted filing....... and life was sweet.

So, in answer to the question-how do managers do it?..... by doing loads of extra unpaid hours each week.

We shouldn't really because we are masking the true cost of running a charity pack away Pre-school. But we are professionals and want the best for the children ....so we do it....

i had to hold myself back yesterday when a parent at football was complaining about all the holidays teachers and pre-school staff get. I did ask her if she had to 'self-assemble' her office when she arrived at work every morning (got a blank look at that one!) and if she would be willing to take 13 weeks unpaid holiday every year which she could use to catch up with all her paperwork!! She went very quiet then..mrsW.xx

Totally agree - I went in at 6am this morning to set out our new outdoor play area then back home between 7 and 8am to get my children up and off to school!!

Back by 8.15am to set up inside and generally get everything ready.

Spent most of the holidays doing paperwork and getting things ready for the outdoor area.

Phone calls this afternoon to ofsted, insurance and sorting registers again!!

Why do we do it?.......................... a lovely smile from a newish little girl who so far has been struggling to settle at preschool and lots of wows from other children when they saw all the new toys!!!

Then had to pack it all away before I do it all again tomorrow :o

Completely snowed under, along the lines of you all, worked socks off over holidays, work, new garden, recruiting, studying - felt rather resentful if I'm honest about the lack of support from some quarters - had a lovely box of chocolates from a parent today with a card thanking us for our work on the garden - it is appreciated - yeh!

Lots of wow's this morning as parents arrived, children loved garden, sun shining, great job, stinky paperwork!

Am trying to cut down on key children - I am not superwoman!

Need to find a way to motivate some staff - answers on a postcard!

I wish I could cut back on key children too...I have 13 now! and my member of staff off sick has 10 - off which she will be doing nothing for for the next month! I will try to spread that workload out amongst staff - but no one will do it realistically and with Ofsted looming I will probably kill myself trying to do it - just so it doesnt let us down....I have major headache already the type you get at the end of term! :o

I would like to know how to do that too Deb...motivating staff that are all too quick to complain about no anti-bac spray but havent done a bean of their childrens files for three weeks !!

I want to scream "You get some then" but why should they - they are not paid to go and do the shopping for work so they wont...guess thats me again then

Edited by Guest

like everyone else I to struggle with time. I am a single mum of four, have two dogs lol, am the manager and completing the second year of degree. I have felt exhausted since 2007 when I took on this position and have at times felt extremely guilty for ignoring my own children. So I took a leap of faith and wrote a mini dissertation to the committee which basically outlined that I wanted to be made supernumerary and yes I did lay it on the line that if this wasnt a possibility then I would be leaving to become a key person in another setting. The committee where fantastic and didnt actuallly realise what the job entailed until they had it in black and white, the upshot is that in June I will no longer be a key person, but will still work very closely with the staff and children on areas of training, observation, assessment, tracking progress and next steps etc. My hours have been extended so I will have two hours each day after the setting closes to do all paperwork. I know I am in a fortunate position that the committee can afford to this, however I just couldnt continue the way I used to and would have happily became a key person with no other responsibilities. I will let you know how I get on in June.

I've just read all your comments above and had to post to say I TOTALLY agree with everything. Sadly, after 15 years of our workload getting more and more unmanageable I've thrown in the towel and will be leaving in July.

The worst bit is we are advertising my post for the second time because no one wants it - too high an expectation, too much work, not enough money...... and I DO feel guilty, but not that guilty. I'm guessing this is happening all over the country and I'm not alone?

What will the government do if we all just STOP.... will they change the system, provide more money or what? Perhaps we should try and then I may be persuaded to stay!

The worst bit is we are advertising my post for the second time because no one wants it - too high an expectation, too much work, not enough money...... and I DO feel guilty, but not that guilty. I'm guessing this is happening all over the country and I'm not alone?

What will the government do if we all just STOP.... will they change the system, provide more money or what? Perhaps we should try and then I may be persuaded to stay!

Oh LJW! that must feel a bit like a kick in the teeth, if no-one else is prepared to take on what you've been doing?!? :o

I wonder if your setting would offer you more money of they thought that would encourage you to stay? I've heard of it happening in the past when no suitable applicant has come forward - but not (so far!) in Early Years xD

Nona

I've just read all your comments above and had to post to say I TOTALLY agree with everything. Sadly, after 15 years of our workload getting more and more unmanageable I've thrown in the towel and will be leaving in July.

I too have handed my notice in - and finishing in July. Done the job for 13 years so time to move on I say.