Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs - Impact On Head Teachers

Hi all,

a friend of mine has been asked to talk about the impact that the EYFS, and the new primary curriculum have on the headteacher's role... do any of you have any inspiration for her?

Many thanks!

I'm not feeling very inspired but didn't want to read and run. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some ideas.

The new Primary Curriculum has been postponed, possibly indefinitely depending on the outcome of the General Election, so at present the NC is still statutory.

What sort of presentation does your friend have to give? Is she a head teacher?

There have been lots of discussions about how some teachers find it difficult to implement the EYFS in the way they would like because of the higher ratios they have in schools, and the pressures they face from head teachers in terms of assessing children, or of having unrealistic expectations of what children in the EYFS are developmentally ready to do (such as sit in an hour long assembly, etc).

A forum search might give an insight into the issues these teachers are facing, which might easily be turned around to show the impact on the role of the headteacher's role in meeting the different needs of children and their teachers in the EYFS whilst meeting their aims and objectives for the rest of the school.

Better still, encourage your friend to take up a membership here and she can do the searching for herself! :o

Maz

Guest LornaW

If it is for a HT interview then the importance of a primary school now having 3 key stages and how important it is as a HT to be a leader of learning so they really do need to understand the pedagogy of EYFS especially the four themes. They need to start early engagement with parents in a meaningful way and not a partoronising way and then they need to support the staff to fully implement the EYFS its themes and principles.

Many HT do not understand the EYFS and do not then track progress and so the HT needs to understand how they can do this and how learning journals or whatever the school implements are an excellent way of tracking progress. Also that there are three parties invoilved in gathering the evidence and this fits in with APP and AfL.

While the new curriculum is on hold Excellence and Enjoyment gave schools the freedom to be more creative and this means learning in a meaningful context and also building on what children already know so transitions are important and HT need to build on what has gone before not just expect children to be in Y1 or Y3 so this is what happens!

Bit of a rant but really passionate that all HT embrace the EYFS as a key stage in its own right not a time to get ready for Y1.

Lorna

Guest jenpercy

ONe wonders how many head teachers understand EYFS when not one that I have met knows anything about the requirement to liase with other settings - and when it is explained to them they can't think how to go about it1

Guest LornaW
ONe wonders how many head teachers understand EYFS when not one that I have met knows anything about the requirement to liase with other settings - and when it is explained to them they can't think how to go about it1

I rest my case jenpercy!

(although I do know some HT who know this and actually do it!!!)

Lorna

Hello there

Can I turn this on its head a bit? I have a Headteacher who does understand EYFS (although she is newly appointed and new to KS1 let alone Foundation Stage - fantastic!). She has asked me how we might change KS1 to improve provision in the light of the new curriculum and to build on the provision in the Foundation stage. What would be the key elements of your practise that you would like to see in Year 1?

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)