Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lit Review:

I am doing the literature review for my research proposal.

Have been told to write it much like an essay and that this is the background information for my own research, related theories and current views.

I get all of that.

I have been busy here for the past 4 hours or so.

Feeling fairly good.

Now what I am suddenly worried about is the critiquing of articles etc.............. alot of work I have done so far has been about the history behind parent partnership.

Am I just to critique research articles not books??? Or should I have been critical of all that I have read?????????

Confused.

AGAIN!!!!

Please help x

Well its probably a question best asked of your tutor, Scarlettangel, since s/he will be doing the marking!

However I'd say you need to critically analyse all the sources you select so that you can come to some kind of rounded conclusion about what the literature is telling you about your research subject. Some you'll agree with, some you might not but all sources will need to be scrutinised otherwise you won't be able to identify why!

What do others think?

Maz

Guest cathy m

Oh dear bringing back nightmares of last years studies.

I was told that when doing a lit review we should use peer reviewed articles as they are more academic. i spent hours (no days) downloading loads of different articles, many accessed from the OU library. What is your lit review about?

Cathy

My lit review was about 3000 words within a 10000 word assignment. You need roughly 6 sources per 1000 words and they should be academic and peer reviewed e.g., journals etc. for each one that you select (and you may find you initially look at quite a few!!!) you need to evaluate it in relation to your topic. It is always a good idea to have literature that supports and disagrees with your topic so that you can do some contrasting analysis too.

Best of luck.

Still feeling very oh dear regards what I have done......

Have you looked at the literature review sections of other people's research projects, Scarlettangel? Especially those that are in your uni's library? That might give you a good idea of what others have done.

Maz

Have you looked at the literature review sections of other people's research projects, Scarlettangel? Especially those that are in your uni's library? That might give you a good idea of what others have done.

Maz

This is a really good idea - this did help me a lot.

I have recently finished my lit review and I also had no idea of what I was doing at the beginning..

My project is on risky play and I also googled "literature reviews of risky play" and this was a godsend, not only did it show me a typical layout, I also found excellent literature that I hadn't come across before.

Give it a try.... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)