Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Induction

Hi,

Sorry, I know this has been discussed before, but I wondered if people would mind sharing how they do things.

At the moment, our new intake induction is as follows:

1. between receiving their confirmation of a place and the end of May:

child and parent/s come and meet headteacher, look round school and come and meet me and TA in classroom

2. usually just before May half term:

new intake meeting for parents - I waffle on about EFYS, how we work, what we do, what children need, that they don't need to be able to write (you get the picture!)

3. End of June/beginning of July:

2 x Friday afternoon visits to their new class, works out at about an hour and a quarter for each visit (children only, and new intake only - my current class get dispatched elsewhere!)

4. Early July, usually just after 2nd Friday visit to school:

Home visits - my TA and I do a short home visit for each child (usually on the same morning as all the other year groups do their moving up morning)

OK, if you are still following, we are considering changing it and not doing the home visits. My head says most schools in our cluster don't seem to do them now (but that she doesn't mind either way), so just wondered how many of you do them for your new intake?

I like them as we get to see the child in their home environment which gives a little background for some children, but other than that, we don't get that much out of them - we are a small school anyway and have a very open door thing for parents to talk to us anyway.

I was wondering about doing the children's visits to school on the morning where all other classes move up - but would one morning be enough? (We tend not to have problems with children settling in in Sept anyway in case that helps, and also all children start full time in Sept)

Or maybe have the 2 afternoon visits for parents and children - kind of stay and play thing (maybe half one week, half the other - only be about 16 children in total, but with parents could be quite busy), then just the children for the morning one (all of them)?

Oooh I don't know! :o

Well done if you made it to the end of that, and an even bigger well done if it made sense to you!

Thanks for any suggestions/advice/ways of working,

purplemagic x

hi purplemagic.

at present we do

parents meeting (same as yours)

children visit in small groups on their own for an afternoon over two weeks. (june)

children visit for full day on day that all other year groups move up.

all children start full time in sep.

i want to improve our transition and induction but we are fed by so many nurseries that i think it would be detrimental to my current class for me to visit all of them.

we do say that parents can come and visit with child any time and we always accomodate this.

i also wondered about an individual book where childrne can see parts of the classroom and have space to draw or just talk with parents about what they like to do.

I dont know either!

lucie x

Hi C

urrently this is what I do. I have a new intake every term so it is done 3 times a year.

1. Mid term, new children 'drop in' with parents at 3.30pm to see their new classroom and adults.

2. Following the 'drop in' session, parents return in the evening for an induction evening.

3. Welcome book is taken to all nurseries and also put on the school website for parents and chidlren to view at home. Parents are also given password to our class website so they can look at photos of what we are doing. play games and do activities.

4. I go out to visit all nurseries and spend time with children, talk to key workers and take photos.

5. Parents are given a number of story time session dates. They ring school to book and then come with their child and join the existing class for a 15 minute story time at the end of the day.

6. The term that the chidlren start, they do one half day session with parents, one half day session on their own. Then after that they are in full time. During the session with parents, I have 1:1 interviews with the parents to discuss their child.

7. All the photos that i took at their nurseries are put on a big 'welcome' display for them to refer to.

When we go to One term intake, I would like to do a teddy bear's picnic in the summer term for all new children to come to.

This seems to work for me.

I'm not in the maintained sector but I know that our LA is trying to get both maintained and PVI settings to consider transition as a year long cycle rather than something which is done during the summer term. They have suggested all kinds of things such as inviting prospective children to visit the school for Christmas concerts, etc. I think it sounds like a fabulous idea and I can see many nursery and reception class teachers being positive but the question is how to get the heads on board, especially when some children might be considering more than one school.

In answer directly to your question though, I think as a PVI provider I would like to see my maintained sector colleagues take a flexible approach to transition, possibly taking advice from staff in PVI settings where the children attend and from the parents as to how to conduct it. Some children are more than ready for a full school day in my experience, having been in full day nursery since a baby, and for some the school day is shorter than their time in nursery as parents take the opportunity to work more in line with school hours. Other children need more time spent visiting the classroom, possibly with an adult with whom they have a strong attachment, to help them prepare. It is difficult and I can see it will be much more difficult for schools than it would be for induction to a PVI setting, but so long as there is flexibility and a child centered approach I would be happy.

Sorry don't actually know if I did answer the question there!

Thanks for the replies - is interesting to see how others do things.

The pre-school in our village do bring 'rising 5s' to our Harvest festival and dress rehearsal of Christmas play. Think they have been to other things too. For the last couple of years, the pre school staff have also brought the rising 5s up to use the trim trail with my current class about once a week during the summer term.

I agree that all children are different and that what works for one may not be the same as what works for others. I have, on the other hand, found that those who have attended full time nursery since they were a baby are often the ones who take longer to settle at school. Could just be the individuals involved, or perhaps the parents' expectations that 'oh they will be fine, they have been to nursery since they were 3 months old' - it is sometimes hard to get those parents to realise that being at school is actually not the same as being at nursery (fewer staff for one thing, more expectation to conform, etc) - and most imprtantly the fact that it is just a new setting to get used to.

But anyway, that's enough of my soapbox rant (not directed at anyone here - just at a couple of parents have had over the last few years!! :o )

Thanks again for the replies so far - any more would also be useful!

x

I have been developing our transition process over the last couple of years. This year I have worked hard to start the transition at the beginning of the school year for the children who attend the pre-school on our school grounds. Every other month the children from pre-school have spent a morning with my existing class, joining in activities and just generally getting used to the classroom/school environment. Once I get the list of children who have places (most will be on our pre-school but there will be others from other nurseries/pre-schools) I go and visit each child in their setting. Gives me an opportunity to chat to their key workers and look at their learning stories.

In June, children are invited for several stay and play sessions with their parents if not at the pre-school or with the pre-school in small groups alongside my current class.

In July there is a full morning for all children to come without parents (my current class visit their new class). There is a parents evening the same week to explain EYFS etc. Parents take home an 'All About Me' booklet to fill in with their child. The following week do a teddy bears picnic for all children and their parents and my current class join them. Parents were very positive about the induction process last year and hopefully will be even better this year.

In the first week of term my new class don't start school that week, instead me and TA go and visit each child (optional) in their home. I think home visits are so valuable and definitely don't think you should stop doing them! Even if its not that useful for you, it is for the children and for the parents.

Then they start school the following week.

Hope that makes sense!! x

Do very much the same as everyone else.

1. Parent induction meeting - talk about school ethos, EYFS, meet the teacher, head etc - a group of children from current class do a little demo of letters and sounds. Special friends (Year 6) children talk about their special relationship with the reception children (parents love this). Our school cook bakes some cakes for coffee break (parents love this too)

2. Induction picnic - one afternoon in June the new children and parents are invited to a picnic in our school grounds. My existing parents contribute with cakes and come along to meet new parents. My class then welcome the new children by handing out cakes and drinks. Its a really successful afternoon for all involved.

3. New parents and children invited to our summer BBQ and sports day.

4. During June and July I try to visit the children in their pre school setting. I don't do home visits unless asked specifically.

5. In July the children come in for a half day visit either a moring or afternoon.

Hope this is helpful

NikkiMac

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)