Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

15 Hrs

Hi all

thought I had this covered by extending the existing 2.5 hr session by half hour each way . but have attended committee meeting today and certain members have raised concerns that this is to long a day for 2 year olds ( who may attend 2 seesions including a lunch club ).

I have tried to explain that this is was most preschool settings have done to accomodate the extra time and just wanted your views with regards to what you are all offering or doing with the 15 hrs entitlement.

thank you

There have been some dicussions about this recently chumpychop. I think most people are seeing adding a lunch club as a way to offer he 3 hours.

The 2 year olds dont have to stay if their parents dont want them to, so that would be my answer. :o

I'm not in a nursery setting so I might be poking my nose into something I don't really know anything about but I will be returning to work in a few weeks after maternity leave and both my children will be in a private nursery. My five month old and three year old (who has also been there since he was a baby) will be there from 8 in the morning to about 4.30 everyday. Obviously at a younger age they have one or more sleeps in a day but they seem to manage these long hours.

My five month old and three year old (who has also been there since he was a baby) will be there from 8 in the morning to about 4.30 everyday.

i think in most pre-schools it is a very different environment to a private nursery, for example we have only one room and no cots just a simple pull out thing for sleeps. we only take 2 year olds for a maximum of 2.5 hours a day (in the afternoons I only offer them 2 hours a day) even though we are piloting 15 hours for the EYFE children.

we are open 9-3 each day so we do have a fair bit of coming and going.

i think in most pre-schools it is a very different environment to a private nursery, for example we have only one room and no cots just a simple pull out thing for sleeps. we only take 2 year olds for a maximum of 2.5 hours a day (in the afternoons I only offer them 2 hours a day) even though we are piloting 15 hours for the EYFE children.

we are open 9-3 each day so we do have a fair bit of coming and going.

Obviously we are talking more about the two year olds rather than babies so cots aren't really an issue. The private nursery my two go to is tiny so there aren't different rooms that can be used for sleep. It all happens in the same place. However, I would have thought most two year olds would be able to cope with three or four hours before needing a sleep?

Just re read the first post and realised that I may have misunderstood the length of time they will be there for (I put it down to the night feeds! :o )

Am I right in thinking that they could potentially be there for a full day? i.e. morning session, lunch club and then afternoon session?

we take children at 2.6months of age, some of them just do three hours, but a majority of them stay all day 9am till 3pm and they seem to manage the all dayers ok. We are a prreschool who already offer the 15 hours free entitlement a year earlier than most provisions.

We already offer 3 hour sessions (up to 6 hours a day), and we take at 2.

We have been talking about this today as we have noticed that some of our 'younger' ones do struggle when they first start. We are considering dropping the 2 year olds to 2.5 hours, then parents can pay extra once the chilren settle and can cope with longer.

We are busy with 26 in one room. I know that tecnically the child could have a nap - but when parents are paying for 3 hour sessions (as apposed to full daycare were they may need a sleep) they could end up paying for the children to sleep with us!!!!!

Hi

I posted this question a couple of weeks ago myself as we were really worried about 2yr olds coping.

Having discussed it until we can discuss no more! we have decided to just go for the 3 hours for everyone and tackle each problem as they occur, it will probably be tough the first half term but I'm sure the children will get used to it. September will be a learning curve for everyone! :o

We are 2-5yrs, pack away, village hall, 1 room setting

because we are also in a church hall and there are certain afternoons we can not get because of other users who use the hall. We do Monday, Wednesday and Friday which is our full days 9-3pm, Tuesday and Thurday 9-12pm. we did start with mornings 9-12 than afternoons 12-3pm but it got to much with children coming and going and what with the lunch club, so we asked what parents wanted and they chose to do all day with lunch in the middle We have been doing this since September and has worked well especially with under three's who manage very well without a rest, I don't think we will go back to offering afternoon sessions anymore it was to much stress.

at present our lunch varies in time depending when the children wont to sit and eat, this could be 12.15 or 12.30, especially if they have had there snack late