Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not An Ey Subject

Rea

Does anyone have a ferret?

If so, please help. Is it better to neuter or vasectimise? (I did say it wasnt a EY subject xD )

We've had our ferret less than a week but I'm hooked, he's lovely, so cute and playful but he smells horrible. :o

I've been searching the internet for advice and have been to our vets but theres a contradiction over how to proceed and now I dont know what to do.

Anyone able to help? :(:(

We've had our ferret less than a week but I'm hooked, he's lovely, so cute and playful

Aaah!! A family from primary school used to run the ferret rescue charity, based in Kidderminster (I think!) I'll ask my daughter in the morning, she may still have a contact number for them or be able to get one (MSN has it's uses :o )

Nona

I can well understand how smitten you are Rea - they look such lively intelligent creatures.

However I can't get the image of Richard Whiteley being 'savaged' by a ferret on tv years ago - the poor ferret was literally hanging from his finger, teeth well embedded in his flesh.

Brings water to my eyes just thinking about it. :o

Hope you get some sensible answers to your query!

Maz

Hi Rea,

My sister in law replies:

"Females come into season and won't come out of season unless mated. If they aren't mated they can die, so they are best neutered.

Males are best neutered. This makes them more placid and less odorous BUT if you want un-neutered females to be healthy, a vasectomised hob can be put with them take them out of season.

My opinion is to get them ALL done then there is no issue and all the ferrets are happy."

she goes on to say that she would recommend you telephone a ferret rescue in your area to find out what vet they use. She also recommends the book Ferrets for Dummies!

Ferrets have specific requirements and reading this book will help to keep the ferret healthy and happy and also make the ferret a better pet.

Thats great Panders, thanks, thanks to your sister in law too. :(

We have a book thats really pretty good, plus the man we had him from has worked his ferrets for years so helps with bits and pieces.

He's definitley lively when he's out, but does tend to sleep a lot, upto 18 hours a day one site said.

He doesnt bite Maz, at least not yet, but he does lie on his back to have his tummy stroked. He's fab, but my cats hate him. I was really worried they wouldnt get along, but they dont want anything to do with him, poor little thing, he tries to get near them But they scoot off.

Its been a real learning curve, I didnt kow they would eat cat food or play tug of war, love carrier bags or love rolling up in old t-shirts. He's really fun to watch.