Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sickness Policy

Hiya

Does anyone have any 'rules' in their sickness policy about looking after children with a temperature? Does anyone stipulate that if a child's temperature goes over a certain level that they must be collected?

Thankx

As a Nursery our parents understand that if a childs temperature is up to more than 38 degrees then the child will have to go home - we do get the parents who slip the child a dose of calpol before they arrive but then we watch for the '11am' threshold ( they have usually had the dose about 7am before coming in - so four hours later it's worn off) and they get the phonecall, somehow from thier employers point of view that is better than them not going in at all :o Caring for a child with a high temp isn't good - they want to be with Mum or Dad and a febrile convulsion is always a scary thing for all concerned.

There was a thread recently about thermometers in a preschool setting which you may find interesting. Personally I would send a child home if I felt they weren't well enough to be at the setting, regardless of what their temperature was.

Personally I would send a child home if I felt they weren't well enough to be at the setting, regardless of what their temperature was.

I work on the same principle as Beau. If a child is unwell I expect parents to pick up regardless of what their temperature is.

I would use a thermometer only to check if I felt that their temp may be dangerously high. That's what I've always done with my own children too.

My contract states that I cannot care for a child who is unwell and I will expect parents to pick them up as soon as possible.

Thank you parents just seem to think they can bring their kids regardless!

:o oh yes!!

An essential skill when working with young children is the ability to say "no! I'm sorry but little so-and-so doesn't appear well enough to stay with us today!"

Good Luck acquiring it - I'm still working on it 12 years down the line - there's obviously a gap in the market for a training course xD

Nona

Oh my goodness, how many times have I heard "jimmy was throwing up all night, he's fine now and he really wanted to come in". Aaargh!

Have sent a letter to all parents now stating if they have sickness or dia (you know what I want to spell) they must be kept off of school for at least 48hrs after their last period of illness, also children should not come in with a temperature and if a child needs calpol or similar medicine then they are not well enough to attend.

No comments so far but watch this space...........

I have lots of trouble saying to parents that their child is not well enough to attend. If you hear of any good training courses on it let me know, ha ha!!

I've tried explaining to parents that my years of experience have taught me that sometimes home is the best place for a poorly child and that if they trust me enough to care for their child while they're at work then they should trust me to know when they're not well enough to be with me! :( It sometimes works!

Today I worked as a chaperone backstage at a dance show. A team of us looking after 37 two to five year olds xD

As usual, there was a "pushy" Mum trying to pressure me into allowing her backstage with her daughters. As agreed with the princpal of the Dance School I stood my ground and refused. Mum not happy, wanted to know my name etc even though I'd explained that if I did it for her the other parents would feel aggrieved. Promised the children would be well-cared for, I'd keep them in my group, any problems I'd contact her blah blah, still not convinced :(

Imagine my feelings less than 2 hours later when I dicovered her daughter had chicken pox!!! :( I tried to phone her at home - no answer! Mobile went to voicemail. Text message sent asking her to contact me. Searched the theatre to see if I could find her. More spots appearing in front of my very eyes xD She showed up at the end of the show, having left her phone at home :wacko: and was VERY sheepish!!

Guess I'm not the Big Bad Nasty Childcarer after all :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)