Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Messy Play

Hi all,

we are planning to do a messy play workshop after easter as we still have parents sending children to nursery in white clothes and expecting them to return home clean!!

Does anyone know of a good article anywhere aimed at parents which informs them why messy play and exploration is so important for young children.

The other complaint is that playing in the water gives them a cold, so don't let them play in the water- any article on this??!

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

Oh good grief, good luck mozart :o

Decorate the room with quotes about play, from Einstein to quotes from the EYFS.

Give them a questionaire beforehand, base it on adults lives. We all play all the time, do you read the instruction book for a new TV, do you skim stones on rivers, do you enjoy cooking, gardening, reading, going to the gym, country walks? Any bit of our play could be messy, we just wear appropriate clothing dont we? xD

Put on the wall my favourite quote ever. Its from the newsreader Kirsty Young:

'if my child's not coming home covered in snot and poster paint, it's been a bad day at nursery'

I put this in every newsletter for 3 months, think I'm getting through!

A uniform can help, in that if this gets mucky it is only for preschool. Lots of ours started wearing uniform when we went through a phase of really mucky stuff.

Get your local GP to write a note about how you dont catch cold from playing with water or outside when its cold.

photocopy it and keep it on a parents notice board

also reassure them that if they are outside or playing with water that we the pre-school have a duty of care to make sure they are approproatly dressed for the weather or wet

also if they do not have access to these types of activities then they are not accessing the whole of the curriculum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)