Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numbers For Outdoor Area

Hi

Does anybody know where we can buy any numbers for outdoors? Natural materials preferably to link with our naturalish play area. I guess I could take a trip to a hardware shop for numbers for doors etc, not sure if that would provide the correct number 4 though. We have the money, I would like something enduring.

You know I think I would ask a local carpenter to make you some wooden ones, perhaps with a variety of textures on one side. This might well work out cheaper and more effective than buying ready made ones.

A very cheap alternative is those number mats you can get at supermarkets, I'm planning to tie some of the numbers from those onto our barriers when I get a moment spare.

Hi Deb,

I love the idea of the metal ones - saw these in the Mindstretchers catalogue - but can't remember how the number 4 is constructed. Love the wooden idea too. We have some squidgy, sparkly numbers which are fine outside.

What about painting them onto large flat river pebbles - could varnish them to waterproof them. Alternatively use thin cross sections of logs and paint numbers onto.

Many thanks for all your replies, all food for thought.

I do happen to know a friendly carpenter so shall ask him.

The mindstretchers ones look good, have emailed them to ask about the number 4. I could envisage them running up a wooden post, though not sure of the size from the photograph.

Absolutely love the squidgy numbers. Might have to get another set for outside. We have two sets, each with one number missing because somebody got near it with the scissors. Will be very effective in the water tray.

Had a good look round the sweetcounters website too and got good ideas about spacing the numbers out to highlight odd and even numbers.

Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Hi

Does anybody know where we can buy any numbers for outdoors? Natural materials preferably to link with our naturalish play area. I guess I could take a trip to a hardware shop for numbers for doors etc, not sure if that would provide the correct number 4 though. We have the money, I would like something enduring.

One of our dads is a carpenter and he made us some fab ones - with varying patterns and textures on them too! That way, we got the number '4' exactly as we wanted it.

You'll never know unless you ask! :o

Edited by pickle

I maybe mixing it up here but shouldn't we be using the number 4 in its different forms? We display differing types of text and fonts around nursery-computer, hand written, enviromental, logos and advertising text. If a child was walking down the street spotting house numbers or the number of a bus what would 4 look like?

I got a quote from someone on e-bay for 1-10 for £16 including postage

I maybe mixing it up here but shouldn't we be using the number 4 in its different forms? We display differing types of text and fonts around nursery-computer, hand written, enviromental, logos and advertising text. If a child was walking down the street spotting house numbers or the number of a bus what would 4 look like?

I got a quote from someone on e-bay for 1-10 for £16 including postage

We had a hilarious discussion the other day about whether it's oblong or rectangle! I think one is 'old school' and one is 'modern'. Why can't it be both!! My son is currently just learning joined up handwriting and he does his s in a really funny way but obviously what they are currently 'meant' to learn.

Isn't it funny, of course you're right, they should get used to these things in all their forms rather than us (or DCSF) imposing one 'correct' way!

Hi

Have just seen in my "who minds" magazine today large woven numbers for indoor/outdoor use approx 40cm in size available from www.tts-shopping.com product code EY01157

Tink69

Just looked at them thay are FAB, ordered today Thanks

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)