Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker Next Steps

Hi All,

Been on a training course today for EYFS document and dispite working in EY's for a decade, and having done many years of planning, need to find a simpler form to enable reluctant key workers to complete their own next steps/planning for their children. Unfortunately there is resistance in this area due to the concept of paperwork overload - so need something quick and simple to win them all over.

Any help in this area would be absolutely brilliant.

Thanks

Deb64

we use 6 weekly review sheets - where staff look through the childrens learning and development stories every 6 weeks - make a summery over the 6 areas (not all are filled) of what the child has learned/achieved then there is a column next to for next steps (if there are any).

I think the most straightforward way is to use the effective practice and planning and resourcing columns in the guidance document, particularly for general next steps, ie if a child has been identified as developing within a certain age-band for a particular aspect, then encourage the staff to look across to those last two columns, and see if that sparks off their imaginations for planning the child's next steps.

A helpful way is to arrange for keyworkers to work in pairs; not necessarily to "share" a child, but just to have someone to talk to about planning for the child's next steps. A more experienced practitioner could support a less experienced one, and hopefully all will get a bit more confident in doing this, which is, I believe, the most difficult aspect of the planning process.

The comment Helen made about two workers 'buddying' for planning next steps is what we use - my key groups have an experienced and less experienced staff member working together, they share the children and work together on planning and progress. It works really well , we are a full day-care nursery, and it also means that parents have two familiar people to link with, and that one is almost always available. :o

And the problem with the more experienced staff struggling could be for allsorts of reasons , some people feel the way things have progressed in the last few years isn't working for them, so dig thier heels in (the I've always done it this way and it worked fine - why change mentality ) It may also be because they need a refresher on development and progress - have they been on any CPD training /courses lately? It could also be that they geniuneley don't 'get it' but are afriad to ask for help as they are so experienced and don't want to look daft. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)