Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safety Tiles

Hello everyone - my first go on here so I'm hoping someone can help!

We want to have some safe outside surface for our toddlers. Wet- pour is SO expensive. Has anyone used the rubber safety mats in their setting jopined together?

Does the safety surface get hot in summer, fade? Does the dye stain clothes, shoes etc? Is it long lasting or does it all start to dent and look horrible?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Hi kuastin

Welcome to the forum ... a fantastic group to be part of! I am unable to offer an answer to your question, but didn't want to read and run!!! I am sure someone will be along very soon with ideas and suggestions.

dottyp :o

We got funding from somewhere to get safety surfacing put down - it's been down about 6 years or so and would need replacing soon if we hadn't moved premises... Can you ask about local funding?

Before that we had big rubber mats that had faded over many years, according to the group photos. The dye didn't come off but they didn't lock together so did creep sometimes.

When i asked about funding to do this for my setting, the LEA sent someone out to talk to me, and she said to leave things as they were, as apparantly the wet pur stuff goes mouldy in the summer when it's wet and warm, and freezes in the winter, which can make it split. So, we have stuck with our not very pleasing on the eye concrete floor, which has suffered terribly over the winter and which will certainly need patching up..........................in which case, we might investigate tarmacing it

We got funding from somewhere to get safety surfacing put down - it's been down about 6 years or so and would need replacing soon if we hadn't moved premises... Can you ask about local funding?

Before that we had big rubber mats that had faded over many years, according to the group photos. The dye didn't come off but they didn't lock together so did creep sometimes.

Thank you ...Ummm sounds like I need to think carefully about this one - it's a lot of money!

Thank you - yes... I wondered if the mats might move ... I'll keep you posted!

When i asked about funding to do this for my setting, the LEA sent someone out to talk to me, and she said to leave things as they were, as apparantly the wet pur stuff goes mouldy in the summer when it's wet and warm, and freezes in the winter, which can make it split. So, we have stuck with our not very pleasing on the eye concrete floor, which has suffered terribly over the winter and which will certainly need patching up..........................in which case, we might investigate tarmacing it

UUGH my head hurts! Thanks though - It's a worry...

We've just had interlocking 1 square metre mats put down on our slabbed area. It's only been down for a month so I can't vouch for how the different seasons will affect it. But the mats havn't moved and they've coped well with the heavy rain we've had so far.

It has meant, however, that we can now introduce free flow as before our biggest barrier was a risk of the children falling down the steps onto the slabs.

RR

We've just had interlocking 1 square metre mats put down on our slabbed area. It's only been down for a month so I can't vouch for how the different seasons will affect it. But the mats havn't moved and they've coped well with the heavy rain we've had so far.

It has meant, however, that we can now introduce free flow as before our biggest barrier was a risk of the children falling down the steps onto the slabs.

RR

Thanks for replying. Do you know how much your mats were and where you got them from?

Whats wrong with good old natural grass

Well, in kaustin's case, because the concrete is already there! We got rid of it in the old garden because the area was very wet, in a flood plain though we've not have floods there in over 30 years, and rain on Monday morning meant the garden was too boggy till Friday afternoon - all the garden was grass so there was no-where else to play outside. Though we're next to where we were, we're having it in the new garden because we've got a slabbed area that will stay dry, drainage has been inproved in the area, the grass area is slighty sloped... and the LEA who paid for it all said we need grass.

Thanks for replying. Do you know how much your mats were and where you got them from?

These are the one's we've got http://www.endurancemats.co.uk/interlock.htm

I had them from a local man who sells job lots of flooring so I had 100 mats even though I only needed 70 or so once we'd had them laid (it cost me £160 to get them laid).

They were £20 each but I paid £1700 for the lot (£17 each) and I'm going to sell on the excess, so if you're anywhere near the West Mids I've got some to sell :o .

RR

These are the one's we've got http://www.endurancemats.co.uk/interlock.htm

I had them from a local man who sells job lots of flooring so I had 100 mats even though I only needed 70 or so once we'd had them laid (it cost me £160 to get them laid).

They were £20 each but I paid £1700 for the lot (£17 each) and I'm going to sell on the excess, so if you're anywhere near the West Mids I've got some to sell :o .

RR

Hello and thank you for replying Reader Rabbit.

Interesting...

I'm in N yorkshire so a bit of a trek but I wouldn't rule it out if it was the right solution for me. Sounds like you're pleased so far with them. More research needed I guess!

Edited by kaustin