Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Policies For A School Nursery?

MuckyDuck24

Hello,

Basically, I work as a teacher in the Nursery attached to a primary school, and we do not have any separate policies. Is this correct? As well as not having any of our own policies, none of the policies even mention the nursery and my children are just encompassed with everyone else. How do other school nurseries do this? I am going to write a policy on nappy changing and procedures as we are just about to accept the first child in a nappy in the school's history! However should I be thinking about writing others such as safeguarding, curriculum, health and safety etc? If so where should i start??

Thanks in advance!

Mucky Duck

Page 20 of the EYFS Statutory Guidance states Schools will not be required to have separate policies for the EYFS provided that the

requirements are met through their policies which cover children of statutory school age. So I would guess that if you feel the school's policy meet the needs of your children then you don't need any extra ones. However, if you have specific issues that only affect your children, then you'd need to write them for yourself.

Sounds like it could be a big job reviewing each policy and asking yourself whether they are appropriate for you!

Maz

I once advised an ex-parent to ask for the 'exclusion' policy of the school nursery as she had been asked to collect her son for behaviour issues, she never did recieve it, but he wasn't excluded again!

Actually as a parent of primary school children I have never seen any policies except the one they repeatedly send out about not taking holidays during term time, are school policies readily available for parents to read?

Hello MuckyDuck

I too work in a school nursery and do not write extra policies as these like happyMaz states should be covered in the school's policies. Some policies do have a specific section relating to the EYFS if it is thought necessary. Hope this helps.

I once advised an ex-parent to ask for the 'exclusion' policy of the school nursery as she had been asked to collect her son for behaviour issues, she never did recieve it, but he wasn't excluded again!

Actually as a parent of primary school children I have never seen any policies except the one they repeatedly send out about not taking holidays during term time, are school policies readily available for parents to read?

You can go in and ask to see them. I would expect most schools to have a Policy File especially for parents to look through. We kept ours in the Reception area along with all sorts of other items for the parents information. It will be very very heavy :o

Hi mucky duck, Id have a word with your head/FS manager and make sure that you can add to policies when they come up for review to make sure that EYFS is covered. It can be a work in progress but it is important that things that are different within the EYFS are covered by school policy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)