Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disposal Of Nappies

At a recent training course I heard some practitioners discussing the fact that if you do not have nappy disposal bins (seperate to household waste, yellow sacks etc) you have to send the soiled nappies home with the child as they can't go with household waste.

Is that what any of you do?

We are in a community hall and only have 2 children in nappies so we don't usually have a bin full.

ppp

There has been a discussion on here about this subject not so very long ago, P3

We just bag our nappies up and put them in the wheelie bin outside. Would hate to think of a nappy sitting around all day waiting to go home with the child at the end of the session!

Maz

I have just had a consultation with County about nappy disposal, and yes you do have to have a bin (red, dont know if thats just for Somerset or everywhere). Nappies from childcare practices we were told are classed as clinical waste and its against the law to put them in domestic bins (which seems ridiculous as this is what households do). This will sound awful but until we move to our new premises we have to double bag nappies in .nappy sack and send them home with parents, as the hall have nowhere (they say) where we can site a red bin. When we move we have to pay for the bin to be collected, which isnt cheap.

The cost of organising a collection would be astronomical.

Actually, the thread I was referring to is here. A couple of pages in is a post from valp who says she has a collection service which costs approximately £50 a year. This is the link to the company.

Maz

We are in a village hall, we double bag and hide in disabled bin (Thats where the changing unit is) Our hall is used by others (sure start, library, baby clinic and you can bet general public just pop in) I am sure sometimes people do change nappies and just put them in the bin, there is not a nappy bin avaiable so I am guessing it would be the hall responsibility.

Don't want any further finacial outgoings at the moment :o

Sue

We also send soiled nappies home with parents, I have this drawn up in our nappy changing policy!

It is so expensive to have the correct disposal unit/emptying that we have little choice but to it this way.

Most parents have been ok, we did have one that would throw them out of her car window when she left the premises!! So now we write the childs name on the nappy sack!!

Hope this helps

Kris

We too have to send home with child. Not ideal but we aren't allowed to put into hall bins and we cannot pay for collection of just one nappy. We have it written into our policy that nappies will be double bagged and 'handed' over to carer (or words to that effect)

our local environmental health officer has said they can go in the normal bin as long as they are double wrapped.

What, so that they can sit in land fill for even longer :o with two layers of plastic to get through before they start to break down!!!!!

Soz, I know there is no easy way to dispose of these nappies and i used to put my own children's in the dustbin - but can you believe an environmental health officer these days actually said that xD I would have thought it more thans his job's worth!!!!