Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New To Forum

Hi everyone,

I do appologise in advance. I have already placed this post on the forum, but I think it was under the wrong section hense why I might not have had a reply.

I am hoping someone can help me. I am getting ready for interviews for a NQT and am applying for both reception and KS1 posts. I am expected to teach a class as part of the interview process and wondering if anyone has got any fantastic ideas of what I can teach.

I was thinking of basing it on a good story but wanted the children to be active too. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Thanks Hankie27

Hi and welcome Hankie!

Im sure you have not been ignored but your request is rather open ended.

A story is a good idea for an interview, although you will need to be aware that you ma not always be able to choose your own activity and may be given something quite specific to do-- although a story could easily be asked for too!

Choose something that you like and that excites you. Puppets and props to make the story come alive and involve the children could be a good idea too.

Good luck with your applications.

Puppets and props to make the story come alive and involve the children could be a good idea too.

It doesn't need to be all that spectacular either - I found a long forgotten story sack for Mrs Honey's Hat the other day and the children have really enjoyed taking off and putting on all the 'decorations' on the doll's hat.

Very simple, but great fun!

Good luck with your job search. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Maz

Welcome to the forum!

A story sounds a great idea, our preschool had a yoga lady in this week, she did a version of the very hungry caterpillar with them, which is a great story to use with this age group.

Good luck with the interview. They're probably as interested in how you relate to the children as in what you plan to do with them. That's what we look for really in new staff.

Hi Hankie 27

Welcome!

You could have a PSHE focus for your active story-telling - personal, social and emotional development is always high on a school's agenda. You might especially tick all the right boxes if your planning links to the SEAL programme for either Reception or Key Stage One (look around on the website, there's loads of lesson plans). It shouldn't be difficult to find a story to cover some SEAL objectives (a bullying story perhaps, or something about perseverance).

Create your own story-box or sack - with the book, captions, pictures, posters, props, dressing up clothes, masks, puppets (or whatever will help to visually create the story) and, when you have finished leave it at the school on loan for the children to access the story and reconstruct it in their own way in child initiated play. Teachers are always pushed to plan creatively and will be grateful and you will show the school your ability to enhance an early years' continuous provision for PSHE.

Plan a Circle Time as a follow up to your story-telling - around key SEAL objectives and leave it for a follow up. You could even produce a brief plan for an assembly around your key theme - they may not follow these through but it will show your interviewers how you can think beyond your brief.

Good luck!

Fingertips

Thank you everyone. These are fantastic ideas!

I am looking for schools in lancashire. There are plenty of them and there has been a few jobs advertised already. Unfortunately there are also so many people finishing their courses at the same time, which I was expecting but it is very daunting experience.

I went to view a school last week for a reception teacher post and there was 36 other candidates there too. There was another viewing day, the day after, with perhaps just as many! It was actually nice to see that out of the 36, there was my uni friend and I that were the only ones studying PGCE Lower primary with QTS (reception and ks1). Anyway keep fingers crossed.

Thank you sooo much everyone!!

Hankie

:o

Hi,

When I did my first meeting with my Reception children I did "Walking through the jungle" They got involved in making the animals' sounds. It gives you an opportunity to show off your classroom control techniques when you move to the next animals. You can use a musical instrument when reading the story - drum, shaker, etc. I followed up the story with "Cheeky monkeys" rhyme with children joining in with the actions. Unfortunately, I was called the "cheekymonkey teacher" by some children after that :o

Hi,

When I did my first meeting with my Reception children I did "Walking through the jungle" They got involved in making the animals' sounds. It gives you an opportunity to show off your classroom control techniques when you move to the next animals. You can use a musical instrument when reading the story - drum, shaker, etc. I followed up the story with "Cheeky monkeys" rhyme with children joining in with the actions. Unfortunately, I was called the "cheekymonkey teacher" by some children after that xD

I like the idea of the shaker or drum as you read the story! Never tried that before. Will have to have a go at it. Thanks cheekymonkey! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)