Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Performance Related Pay

caro

Hi

My management committee want to consider performance related pay. Does anyone do this and if so what sort of criteria do you use? I can't work out how you would measure things like TLC and bonding with keychildren which to my mind are a crucial part of the job. I understand that timekeeping, attendance, going on courses etc can be measured but so much of our job can't (or so I feel). We are a small team and I think it could end up being very devisive. Meeting is tomorrow so any advice would be greatly received.

Caro

I've thought about doing this to motivate staff, as I'd like to reward those who work hardest, but I've had trouble working out a fair way to do it. Even pay rises I feel have to be across the board otherwise you start to breed resentment.

I was thinking maybe a bonus for staff who meet all their appraisal targets, but even then I think it's hard to do it without it being divisive and as we only have a very small group of staff that would be an issue.

Not much help sorry (I'm chair) but some good arguments about 'why not to do it'.

Could you think about offering a higher rate of pay for taking on more responsibilities maybe? I used to give my staff allowances for taking care of various areas of the curriculum/ nursery. I've heard of others offering allowances for roles such as Inclusion coordinator, H & S officer, etc. You might also be able to reward the qualities of TLC and bonding with children if you create a new role of "Settling in coordinator/ liaising with new families/ etc" :o

That sounds like a good idea to me Helen as staff would see the reasoning behind it.

A few thoughts off the top of my head. The problems around PRP are that it can be divisive and demotivate staff. You will need a PRP policy so that it is clear to everyone and seen as fair. You would then have to decide how much you will give and how often you review staff pay. If it is linked to annual performance management then again that must be scrupulously fair, and it must be clear how performance is to be measured, which isn't easy in our job. Sometimes people don't achieve all of their targets, but there can be extenuating circumstances. To fail a PM without good reason may be a capability issue.

Someone not pulling their weight, who doesn't improve after being given notice to improve, is also a capability issue which needs dealing with separately from PRP. I think some advice from ACAS might be in order before you go any further, as you don't want to end up with someone taking out a Grievance or even going to a tribunal.

Hi

I think that this is a bad idea, especially in a small team. It will cause ill feeling. Should everyone not be valued for their unique contribution.

If someone is not pulling their weight this should be addressed.

Much better to reward extra roles that increase work load with extra pay.