Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps Is It Worth Doing If I Work In The Primary Sector?

Hi all,

I've been contemplating doing the EYPS course but don't know if it will be of use to me as im based in a primary school. I was speaking to a lady who has just completed it and she said she can't get a specific job with the title of EYPS and within primary education it is not equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status as it states on the course content.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi, I would do it as part of your own professional deveolment. :o I work in a primary school and the management outlook is that they will only pay you for the original job that you were employed for. Also the guidelines for schools say a teacher must be in each class. I am doing my foundation degree and I will go on to do EYPS. When enough people have the EYPS the powers that be may allow them to teach in the foundation stage.

Lorraine xD

EYPS is only open to practitioners working in a private, voluntary or independent setting. So if you're working in a school environment you will not be able to get funding to undertake EYPS.

The fact that EYPS is an equivalent status to that of QTS is a bit misleading because having the Status does not mean you can teach in a classroom.

An EYP's job function will be very different in one setting compared to another, so even if a job was advertised with the EYP title it would mean different things. There are more and more jobs that state EYPS as desirable criteria on the person specification, although it is a slow process.

Maz

In our LEA she is considered as support staff albeit with additional qualifications. The member of staff who works in our school nursery who has EYPS supports the teacher and she only covers PPA in Reception because she also has HLTA status.

If you ever wished to move into a Children's Centre then having EYPS as well as QTS would be a bonus on your application. Every CC has to have someone with EYPS Sept 2010 even if they have a maintained Nursery and staff with QTS. If only one member of staff has EYPS and then moves on, they will need to be replaced.

Oh yes Jacquie - I always forget about Children's Centres. So I shall need to get used to saying that only people working in PVI settings and Children's Centres can get funding for EYPS!

Although it does seem bizarre to me that you'd need an EYP where there is already someone with QTS, but what do I know?

Maz

I wondered that as well initially, but it will be because QTS EYFS training doesn't include experience with 0-3's, and this is essential for those leading practice from 0-5. It is certainly something I would have wanted to do for my professional development and I would probably have funded it myself if I had to. It wouldn't have made a difference to my pay but would open up further opportunities, and give me credibility with those colleagues working with under 3's.

It is certainly something I would have wanted to do for my professional development and I would probably have funded it myself if I had to. It wouldn't have made a difference to my pay but would open up further opportunities, and give me credibility with those colleagues working with under 3's.

Yes you're right - it is the birth to three experience that would need to be made up. However I don't think self-funding is an option - if you 'qualify' for EYPS then the funding is there for you. However if you are in the wrong kind of setting I don't think EYPS is available to you at all. I might be wrong of course - would be intresting to hear if anyone else has self-funded.

Maz

Yes you're right - it is the birth to three experience that would need to be made up. However I don't think self-funding is an option - if you 'qualify' for EYPS then the funding is there for you. However if you are in the wrong kind of setting I don't think EYPS is available to you at all. I might be wrong of course - would be intresting to hear if anyone else has self-funded.

Maz

According to the CWDC website self funding isn't an option you can only undertake EYPS training if you meet their criteria when your training will be funded.

I'm not sure on the value for those working in maintained primary settings as LAs vary on their attitude to qualifications. In my area the EYFD doesn't seem to be recognised as a qualification and it's been around much longer than EYPS. What experience do others have??

I was looking at the Edge Hill site and they provide a bursary towards the cost of EYPS for people on the full time pathway. They also talk about people who are not currently working in settings but wish to do so, and that they will find placements for them whilst they follow the training. That's how I read it anyway.

We had someone on placement at our CC who had gone on from her teaching degree straight into the full time pathway.

They also talk about people who are not currently working in settings but wish to do so, and that they will find placements for them whilst they follow the training.

I think it all depends on how you define 'working'. I'm pretty sure you can be a volunteer in a setting rather than being in paid employment - but the crucial thing is that you can lead and support the delivery of EYFS practice. There may or may not be a stipulaton of a certain number of hours, and I think that might well be down to each provider to agree with the candidate. I'm sure there must be people in this category who know the answer to this one!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

I am a TA in maintained school, I got this information when I enquired if as a TA i could undertake EYPS training -

I have contacted the CWDC. If you can evidence that you work with children in the Early Years age range then you should still be able to obtain your EYPS and receive funding through the CWDC. The maintained sector is not quoted at it is assumed that the children are of the older age range 5+. I have spoken to a rep at CWDC and confirmed that some schools here in MK have nursery classes attached and that some of the younger children also attend after school club.

A letter from the Head/Deputy confirming the age group you work with should suffice. You will need to show this to your tutor when you apply to undertake your EYPS.

I think it all depends on how you define 'working'. I'm pretty sure you can be a volunteer in a setting rather than being in paid employment - but the crucial thing is that you can lead and support the delivery of EYFS practice. There may or may not be a stipulaton of a certain number of hours, and I think that might well be down to each provider to agree with the candidate. I'm sure there must be people in this category who know the answer to this one!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)