Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Routine

Hi! I am a new member and would like some advice on how people orgnaise their day/ week?

Browsing through peoples planning it seems that daily numeracy and literacy are happening? When do you have directed CD/ KU? I currently have a day for each strand of the curriculum where my inputs and TD activites are focused to daily theme - CLL, MD, KUW, PD, CD - obviously these are cross curricular and linked to my theme of the week -i would appreciate any advice on how people run their week and day! Thank you!!

Hi Sarah & welcome! :D

This topice as you have discovered does tend to vary considerably.

I am supply teaching at the moment but in my Reception class room I found I had a maths and literacy session Monday to Thursday, with a teaching focus on one of the other areas each day and on Friday I caught up and consolidated according to whatelse had gone on in the week.

If you are covering everything that you need to then I dont think it matters too much how you approach things except that I am a firm believer of a daily phonics session in Reception.

Hello and welcome Saraholl

You sound scarily well-organised! :D

I teach in Reception and have a regular literacy slot straight after morning registration - we start with S&L and move onto phonics, big book and sentence work. (Having said that, I don't do a big book every day). The children usually have two focused writing tasks a week and one handwriting task (i.e. TD). Opportunitites for child-initiated writing are provided everyday indoors and out.

I have a similar whole-class maths slot straight after play each day with lots of practical activities, number rhymes etc. Again, the children have opps to explore and play with number games, shapes, weighing etc every day. I have focused activities for maths each week which are drawn from the objectives in the NNS, though not necessarily every day.

All the other areas of the curriculum are fitted in around these slots. The main CD focus will carry on throughout the week with changing daily provision for CI activities.

It's always a bit of a juggling act because we are trying to offer free-flow with the outdoor classroom so staffing is a major problem that reduces the amount of time we have available for focused work :o

:o Thanks for all you advice! It's a minefield isn't it? Being the only reception teacher in the school you often wonder if you are doing the same as other schools. I do make sure i do some phonic and number within my whole class KU and CD intros so it is daily of a sort! Also, is it ok that my afternoons are Child Initiated - Plan Do Review - with the adults observing and interacting? Sara

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)