Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Brain gym

Megan

I'm doing some research on how physical activity helps children's cognitive development, and would like any feedback on Brain Gym activities that you believe may work with very young children (2.5-4). If you've got time to respond to this, I would be sooooo pleased. Many thanks!

I have never heard of this link before - do you know more already, or is the subject new to you. I am always interested in new thoughts, hope you don't mind me asking. What course are you doing it for, if any? :o

Becky- I'm just doing research for my own interests, really! Like you, I love finding out about new and/or innovative ideas. I harbour desires to write articles on early years stuff in the future, but at this stage it's just a hazy dream......

I heard about Brain Gym on a music course I did three or four years ago, and didn't do anything about it then. But a month or so ago one or our mums, who is a special needs teacher, mentioned it, and I asked her for any reading material she had. The book she gave me was "Brain Gym", by P.E. Dennison and G.E. Dennison. It's all about getting the children to join in with simple movements to enhance their experience of whole brain learning. Children are, apparently, able to access parts of the brain previously uncharted, or unused to any degree. The book claims that children are better able to concentrate, having increased "brain power", and have improved behaviour after taking part in the physical activities. The fundamental idea is for the children to perform movements that cross the midline of the body; this stimulates both sides of the brain.

I have to say at this point that, although I've read the book, I am a complete novice in this field, and I hope that someone will step in at this point! :o

Hi Megan,

I don't know very much about the Brain Gym activities other than making up movements to music where the children, say, touch their left knee with their right hand. Another one is where the child puts his/her right hand on the right shoulder, travels over the head to touch the left shoulder. Sounds pretty dry, but presenting as a type of party game to lively music is really quite fun! I'm going to contact a colleague of mine to encourage her to join in this discussion, as she knows a great deal about this. LINDA WHERE ARE YOU???

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Louise

Hi Megan,

I've just seen a new book advertised, called "The Thinking Child", by Nicola Call. The summary of it looks like it may be of interest to you

* Brain-based learning for the foundation stage

* Practical brain-based techniques

* Addressing children's physical needs

*Teaching and learning through movement.

I'm ordering a copy, so let's get talking about it when you've read it too! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I ordered that book too, and it arrived this morning :D

I've just got the other ten + books on my "to read" pile before I get to it! A quick flick through looks very promising.....

You might be interested in 'the Alps approach - accelerated learning in primary schools' by Alistair Smith and Nicola Call. It's a very accessible book which you can dip in and out of. Primary teachers in the Lewisham area have been developing ways of using brain gym with varying degrees of success. Might be worth trying to contact some of them - possibly via lgfl.com

Alistair and Nicola also have their own websites which are worth a visit:

www.alite.co.ukAlistair Smith's webpage

www.acceleratedlearning.co.uk

Hope this is of some use - good luck

Jools

sorry re:lgfl above - the site is www.lgfl.net/lgfl/. It is the London Grid for Learning site. If u just go to lgfl u will get an estate agency!!

Apologies

Jools

Hi Jools -

Thanks for these ideas - funnily enough, after I'd read your message last night, I found Helen reading The Thinking Child, by Nicola!

I'll put these links into the main book recommendations page as well, which people can find by clicking here.

Are you a reception teacher in London then?

Steve

Hi

I have been using Brain Gym for 10 years now and the improvement in the children in many areas is dramatic. The most effective and easiest are.... Cross crawl... lazt 8 and one where the child has to ollow a finger from side to side without moving their head; eyes only. For the teeniest children they could follow a favourite object rather than a finger.

Hope this may be of some use

Kate. :o

When do you do your Brain Gym stuff? Is it flexible, i.e. according to how the children are on the day? Do you say "Now we're going to do Brain Gym?!" Or do you get them to jump up and join in for a bit of light relief?

We generally do the Brain Gym first thing in the morning before any writing activities, no matter how the children are feeling mainly because they all have a very long bus journey to school and so have been in active for ages. Some of them up to an hou or more!!!!

However, if there's a child who is particularly loathe to join in for on e reason or another, I don't make them.

If I miss any exercises out, I soon know about it as they ask to do specific ones! I also love doing it to music. The Blus Brothers is Fab. I was once doing it and jumping madly about when an OFSTED inspectoer arrived earlyto inspect my next lesson. She looked quite disapproving and made a hasty exit and then came back and stayed for over an hour!!!!!

Kate,

I'm really interested in the bit about missing exercises out; does that mean you follow a specific programme each time, a bit like an aerobics session (not that I've been to one of THEM for about nine years!!)

Hi Helen,

I don't follow a specific order of exercises, but I do follow specific exercises, some of which are physio based as well (strengthening shoulder girdle to aid fine motor control...Amazingly it works! ) In other words I muddle them up and the children often decide which ones we do.

Kate :o

Hi Jools,

Thanks very much for the website references; they were very interesting :D

I have read "The Thinking Child" by Nicola Call and think it's brilliant! It's really easy to read, full of practical advice with the theoretical and empirical research back-up. Can't recommend it too highly! We're going to be using my summaries from the book in the next few staff meetings to discuss changes I would like to put in place in my nursery, and also to confirm that a lot of what we do naturally is great practice :o

I'll probably be putting the summaries on this site so other people can join in with the discussions. Should be stimulating stuff!

Helen

I attended a seminar on behaviour management and gender specific learning today during which much was made about the advantage of brain gym exercises for boys in particular. When brain gym was initially introduced to my LEA (Lewisham, London) it was seen as a useful tool for everyone in the class so I was interested to see it being touted as helpful for boys in particular. Is this something you have come across in your research or is it just something I didn't catch on to in the beginning!!!

Jools

Hi Jools,

I think it may have come about as being especially useful for boys after people started using it! Boys in particular need to be active (in my son's case, virtually every waking moment!) and I think maybe greater improvements in concentration were noted in boys after brain gym activities. I haven't got any evidence to back this up, but I'll let you know if I come across any!

I don't know of any conclusive research showing that Brain Gym is more beneficial for boys than girls, but would be very interested in any links to this sort of information if anyone knows of any. I certainly feel that Brain Gym should be an integral part of the day for all children. Some individuals may benefit more than others and I think your instincts will tell you who they are, just by observing!

It makes some sense though that there might be an additional benefit for some boys. In my first book, The Alps Approach we point out that boys are statistically more likely than girls to be left-handed, to be dyslexic, to be diagnosed with ADHD, or to enroll in a remedial reading program. As Brain Gym aids physical coordination along with concentration and focus, it makes sense then that some boys would greatly benefit, maybe more than some girls.

I will do some research to see if I can find any specific research though - as soon as I get time!

BTW, Helen, I'm so glad that you're finding The Thinking Child useful. It gives me a real thrill to hear feedback on my work :D . I was very pleased when I finally saw it in print. We're currently working on the follow-up The Thinking Child Resource Book, which will contain a lot of practical resources, lists of suggestions and photocopiable material. Originally it was all going to be one book, but there was so much that the decision was made to divide it into two. The resource book should be out by August or September. We saw the initial design and illustrations yesterday and they are fabulous! It should give you a lot of material to follow up with in your setting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wondering if 'the thinking child' was meant for those in pre-school only or is it for any age (primary)? xD

Cannot keep making up silly songs and actions to keep the children stimulated during longish sessions of sitting down...

Am needing some new ideas! :o

Hi Andrew -

Thanks for posting and welcome in! I for one think you should describe your silly songs and actions in a bit more detail - possibly with a few photo's? :o

I think Helen will be coming back to you with her reflections on The Thinking Child, if Nicola doesn't find your post first.

Regards, Steve.

Hi Andrew, and welcome :D

"The Thinking Child" has a subheading "Brain-based learning for the foundation stage" but I think the principles can easily be applied to older children. Take a look at www.acceleratedlearning.co.uk for more info. and further books available.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but there is a course in East Sussex on brain-based learning in a couple of weeks' time.

Helen, have you anymore info on the course, 'cos it sounds great. I may not be able to go (new budget or what budget ), but there's no harm in asking...

Thanks

:o Kate

Andrew - The Thinking Child is aimed primarily at foundation stage, but the principles of brain-based learning are applicable across all ages.

The ALPS Approach was written for the whole primary range from early years to Yr 6, and the ALPS Resource Book can also be used across the whole range. However, my publisher kept badgering me for a specific foundation stage book, as the demand was there for something aimed at the lower age groups. So, the principles of brain-based learning are the same, and the methods can be adapted for any year group, but the emphasis of The Thinking Child is different to that of ALPS. (No mention of testing for one thing :o )

The Thinking Child Resource Book is on schedule for release in the summer. The Resource Book gives a wealth of additional practical suggestions, including a lot of songs and rhymes for different purposes. The resources in this book would work for older children too.

You can find details of The Thinking Child and the ALPS books, along with lists of recommended reading, at my website at www.acceleratedlearning.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Nicola

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda

:o

Did you know that there is a 1 day course "Movement is the door to learning' (Brain Gym - Educational Kinesiology) for Foundation Stage Practitioners and T.A.'s at Barnsgate Manor: Friday 16th May.

Course Code EY334 phone East Sussex School Improvement Service for details 01273 481000 ask for School Improvement Service CPD team or look at www.cfbt,com/sis

I'm planning to attend and will feedback any useful info :D

Hi

Pleased to have read all the positive comments about Brain Gym/ALPS as we have a twilight session tomorrow (4 - 8pm) so it looks as if it will be beneficial and enjoyable. Our area (Northants) has run several sessions at different times - this one is being run by our link Beacon School.

I am sure Leic. will organise something - if not demand it (or ask nicely)! - or look to Northants. and try and get on one of our courses!

Must now obtain book by Nicola Call and try and find time to read it!

We've done a lot of brain gym as part of our NQT training with the county because it's something we've asked for. It basically involves the range of exercises to get both sides of the brain oxygenated and working together, in addition to exercises to combat "stuck reflexes" which are normally discarded during development but if they're not then they lead to various types of behaviour - such as w-sitting... where children sit with their legs out behind them in a W shape (sure you have some of them in your class :o )

It also links with the consumption of water to hydrate the brain and make it fire better.

They did some exercises with us on the post-lunch-want-to-sleep-dip and I did feel much much more alert and ready to work after.

Guest Linda

:o Hi all, following the excellent day conference at Barsgate manor, I'm realy inspired to integrate more brain gym on a regular basis into our day. I've also discovered the brain gym website: full of news, conferences, courses, frequently asked questions, research etc. it's really woth exploring if your're interested in brain gym - www.braingym.org.uk

Also there's a link to the international web site (www. braingym.org) I found a research article there "Brain gym for preschoolers in a headstart program" fascinating reading ... .let me know what you think...

Linda :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)