Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Brain gym

Megan

Thanks for the reply Susan

i'm just back from ferrying children around the countryside!!!

yes i have both book and they are fab. have read the thinking child from cover to cover. The problem is i need more than 1 book for the dissertaton! Talking of such, its still in its infancy and i hoping that once i get into school on a regular basis a path or should i say a narrowed focus will emerge!

I'm wondering if i should focus on a specfic area.i.e literacy- alphabet 8 etc and track development? I'm also reading ' Teaching thinking skills across the early years' by Belle wallace, that too is worth a read.

If Nicola is around, thanks for the email, i've got a copy of Move It! etc that you recommended, this is probably me being silly, but can these movements also be linked with brain gym, or are they brain breaks, and do the brain breaks performe a specific function within the two hemispheres of the brain or just a chance for children to refocus on task? as you have probably guessed i've yet to read about accelerated learning yet!

i'll try to keep you informed re what i find out, maybe then you could all help me to narrow the focus!!!

lizzie

Hi Susan! Yes. I'm here, but 8 hours behind you!

Lizzie, it sounds as if you need to narrow your focus down a little. Regarding thinking styles, have you read The ALPS Approach and the ALPS Resource book? You should be able to get copies from your college library. The ALPS Resources book has some questionnaires that could be adapted to be used verbally or through observation with young children to assess learning styles.

Briefly, Brain Gym are specifically designed movements. Brain Breaks are meant to create a break in activity to refocus. A Brain Break may be a Brain Gym movement, but it does not necessarily have to be. Does that make sense? ALPS explains this fairly well (I think so anyway, but then, I wrote it, so I'm somewhat biased. :o )

Hope this helps.

Nicola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)