Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Touch Policy?

Hi everyone,

After a tutorial for E115 last saturday, we were asked about our 'no touch ' policy.

I admitted my school hasnt got one, just wondered if anyone else has, or is it a new bit of the safeguarding policy.

Thanks

Gill x

Not necessarily a help to you but I know that a school local to me has a no touch policy, though I'm not sure it is written as such. It does cause issues sometimes when children move from our preschool to the school nursery and they are very used to climbing on a staff member's knee for a cuddle or a story, and suddenly the adult is very hands off. I can sort of understand the school's policy as they decided they needed to draw a kine to prevent accusation of inappropriate touch by older more knowing pupils. However I don't think personally I would have drawn the line at the front door, but rather at the start of KS 1.

Gosh how sad and surely totally unnecessary? See here:

www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/12187/ACFD89B.pdf

Page 14 gives very useful guidance. (The rest of it is helpful as well for dealing with confrontational children.)

When I taught in Portugal it was common place for children to hug their teachers. What a sad world we live in where a no touch policy is deemed necessary.

Thanks for your replies, dont get me wrong, i dont agree with no touch policies, i can see they have their place, maybe with older children, but i am under the impression from my tutor, if you dont have a no touch policy, you have to have a policy showing how and where you are allowed to touch children. I all for comforting uset three year olds and the eyfs even states that the relationships with key workers are important to the childs development, you just have to be careful thats all.

Gill x

ps, still think its going over board though :o

My school has a 'no touch' policy but we do have some children who initiate a hug when they are upset and sometimes children just hug staff when they want to. Our staff do not 'freeze' but acknowledge the child initiated contact. I am comfortable with this approach and don't feel that our children are being deprived of necessary attention when they need it. My school had outstanding for safeguarding so I am assuming 'we' are doing something right.

P.S I work in the early years

Edited by sienna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)