Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Duck Eggs

Hey, a couple of years ago my preschool children enjoyed watching some chicken eggs hatch in our room and then nurtured them to adulthood afterwards, it was part of an educational scheme and we recieved all of the neccessary equipment; incubator, brooder box, food etc, it was a fantastic experience and not just for the children! I have since been informed that duckilings are friendlier cretures and more suitable for children. I have been trying to find a similar scheme but with embryo duck eggs proving unsuccessful at the moment so I wondered if anyone knows of a scheme or anywhere that could supply us with Duck eggs to hatch :o ??

Hey, a couple of years ago my preschool children enjoyed watching some chicken eggs hatch in our room and then nurtured them to adulthood afterwards, it was part of an educational scheme and we recieved all of the neccessary equipment; incubator, brooder box, food etc, it was a fantastic experience and not just for the children! I have since been informed that duckilings are friendlier cretures and more suitable for children. I have been trying to find a similar scheme but with embryo duck eggs proving unsuccessful at the moment so I wondered if anyone knows of a scheme or anywhere that could supply us with Duck eggs to hatch :o ??

Last year I hatched duck eggs. I got them from a local farm, hired an incubator and bought a brooding lamp. They are totally gorgeous and my husband and I got so attached over the Easter holidays. We eventually took Crispy back to the farm in floods of tears.

It's very worth it but we are still scarred and have gone for chicks this year, neither of us capable of going through it again just yet.

oh how lovey! I'm even more excited now! I will look in to local farms, just hope I can get some thanks for the tip!

I love this idea we did it last year with a company called living eggs but it was pricey - where would I be able to hire an incubator ????

we are incubating chicks eggs at mo xD my friend owns the incubator so i have been lucky enough to borrow one sorry i don't know where to rent one but could you put a note out to your parents, they may know someone who has one? or if there is a farm near you they may have one and somewhere for the chickens to go afterwards. i candled (its a special torch!!) the eggs today at pre school (day 7) and all 6 eggs have something moving inside :( it made me all excited!! the children had a look but didn't seem to be able to see :o but they made sure they ticked the day off the chart and it gives loads of opportunities for discussing days of the week, how many days ,weeks etc etc. i just hope i have more hens than cocks as i have homes for hens but cocks are harder to give away!!!!

Yes we called him crispy, the chidren went home and discussed it with parents. We then voted on our favourite name and all the children loved crispy! Not sure they fully understood!

Our LA has a resoruce centre where we can hire incubators.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)