Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It Enough?

paddywack

Hi everyone Iam just starting my nvq 3 .How much should one put in an ssignment,my assesor says Iam doing fine but a few gaps missing Iam beginning to think that maybe I dont know what Iam talking about and having a sudden lack of confidence!!!! I need my nvq for my job promotion in september. Need a boost anyone help!!!!!! :o

Hi Paddywack

Firstly welcome to the forum :D

Secondly, if your assessor says there are gaps missing ask him/her to either ask you oral questions to be recorded as evidence or have the assessor write additional questions specifically for the 'gaps'. If you are not sure where the gaps are don't be afraid to ask your assessor to be clear what he/she thinks is missing.

Hope this helps,

Sue

Hi Paddywack -

Welcome to the Forum! :D

If you can persuade the assessor to let you know where the gaps are, as Sue says, that will surely help! And I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will be happy to help out and make you feel less isolated. That's what the Forum is for! :)

Thanks everyone feeling slightly better now.Having worked with children for 17 years and to be told my 2 year city and guild course I did in family and community care counts for nothing really knocks you down ,so Iam determined to do this I didnt think it was ok to ask people for help as I thought people would think I was cheating in some way .Thankyou for making me feel welcome. I am seeing my assesor on thursday hopefully to finish unit p2 so Iam sure I will be back thursday evening!!!!!!!! :)

The answer is abit like the answer to how long is a piece of string! Basically you'll need to include enough to show how competent you are. Some people are able to write concisely and to the point, others (like me :o )tend to go around the houses abit. Your assessor is there to point you in the right direction though. :)

By the way - welcome! :D

Welcome Paddywack,

I agree with the others, I also have 18 yrs experience, I did the PPA Foundation Course in 1983 ( anyone remember that!!!!) and didn't study again until 1996, the advanced diploma in childcare & education.( level 4-ish).

Belive me it is not a lack of knowledge and expertise on your part but the "jargon" of NVQ that is difficult. I used to be an assessor and even assessors find some of the u.k.'s to be ambiguous and need clarification as to what is actually required.

Keep in there and have confidence in what you know and what you can do. :D

Peggy

Thanks peggy,your right the jarrgon is madness and I should have confidence my assesor is new and is going by the book completely which is fair enough but she doesnt seem to instill confidence at the same time.Hopefully I will feel better when she has seen me tomorrow.She is observing me with parents,how I explain activitiesand encourage them to seek imformation about their child and extending parents understanding of activities. Lukily I have some great parents but Iam still really worried about it even though I speak with parents everyday Any tips anyone :o

Paddywack

Just be yourself. You know you are good at what you do deep down, don't let this rattle you too much. Think through the objectives of the activity on your way to work in the morning so you're confident with what you want to say and encourage the parents to ask lots of questions.

I know this is important to you but try not to let it get in the way of having a fun time with those little ones. :):D

Let us know how you get on, fingers crossed for you

Sue

Hi everyone, thanks for the support.Everything went well today and I had good feedback although still a few gaps but I am being more specific and my assesor was very positive.My assignments were fine and she assured me that there was no really wrong way to do them as long as all the points are covered.We planned the next unit c3 which I feel ok about and I am doing it next week!!!!, so I may not feel so good about it next week!!!! thanks again everyone its nice to know Iam not alone. :)

When i was doing all my studying, I had two schoolchildren and a husband on very long shifts, 50/50 nights (the husband, not the children!). All my work was done between children's bedtime and 3 or 4 AM, on his night shifts! It was difficult getting up and going to work but it was the only time I could work uninterrupted without feeling I was neglecting my long-suffering husband! Boy was I glad when it was all over!!

I still work best late at night, hence the reason ( :o ) you'll sometimes find me here in the wee small hours! Music is a great companion at that time!

I sympathise! Any help I can offer, just shout! Now I'm back, all new and improved it might even work!!! xD:(

Sue :D

i only have to hear the words NVQ3 and a shiver goes down my back. If you can get to know someone who is also doing the course, help and encourage one another two heads are better than one. It is hard work and takes all of your time but when i look back and see what i have achieved i am very proud i completed the course when many around me gave up. Hang in there,don't give up, it's worth it in the end.

Hi,

I have just joined the site and cannot believe that I never did so before.

I have been doing my NVQ since January 2004. I couldn't really get on with it as my mum died as soon as I started. It has taken time for me to come to grips with this.

Now I am hoping to really get on with it. I have completed C11 and almost E3. What I find difficult is not really understanding what is wanted. I cannot blame anyone but would love too. But most people on the course seem to get to grips with the cross ref: after a short period of time. It just seems to me that goal posts are moved every week when I think I have cracked it. My cross. ref was deadful for the first Unit.

I work in a school nursery with an am and pm sesion. I have many years of experience both here and overseas. All my studying has been done by dstance learning, but its not acceptable in the LEA I work for. So need my NVQ to get a pay incrase. I have been observed for quite a few of the units.

After looking at the articles on this site I am begining to see some light at a long and lonely tunnel. If any one would like any help with the UKU's for C11 and E3 let me know.

Yomcharris

Hi there, and a very warm welcome!

Any help you might need in the future will be quickly available, I'm sure, there are a lot of us here! And thanks for offering to help yourself!!

Look forward to getting to know you,

Sue :D

Hi Yomcharris,

So sorry about your mum. I'm glad that you've found the site too - we're a very helpful bunch and it's great to have more folk to support others. :) It takes a bit of time to get used to the NVQ and what is required - since you're only 2 units in to it I wouldn't beat yourself up about it just yet. You won't have a lot of work to cross reference at first either - this will start to happen more as you get further through it. Any time you sit and think 'I'm sure I've written this already' - then STOP(!!) and find it and cross reference!! No point in writing the same thing twice! The reason why there is so much cross referencing is that each unit is supposed to be able to 'stand alone' but all aspects of our work overlap in reality. :D Congrats on your achievements so far - keep up the good work. :o

Hi Yomcharris

Welcome to the site :D

When it comes to the cross referencing, don't listen to anyone else, be a rebel like me. Find a system that works for you and as long as every page is referenced clearly and marked clearly on the NVQ paperwork then go with it. :)

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)