Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Safety Gone Mad?

Am I completely stupid? I just find it complete madness that I have to do a risk assessment on an egg box even though I have printed the 'myths about H&S' leaflet about being able to use them and shown the person responsible for H&S! I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!! :o

I'm not sure who is asking you to do this and for what purpose - but do you think it could be as simple as ensuring that the egg boxes are clean and free from signs of being contaminated by raw egg? :o

Maz

The paperwork one is here

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/may.pdf

Ie no need to do long complex RA's for everything ( and I would say that includes flipping egg boxes!!!!!!). Perhaps whomever asked you to do this should be referred to the HSE site themselves. If you look through the "myths" section, you very quickly get the idea that "the world may have gone mad, but the HSE hasn't" !!!!

yes I thought I would add to the RA that no child has an allergy to eggs. At the moment the H&S responsible person seems to be a bit twitchy about covering us for everything. Makes it worse when an LA advisor has said we should do a risk assessment on everything that is in the room which could be potentially harmful to the children e.g. plastic playdough cutters!!!!! (Already had a moan about that on hear so I won't bore you further) Thanks for the link! :o

Unfortunately its not 'health and safety' that is the problem, as eyfs1966 says the hse guidelines are actually quite sensible. Some people just don't understand and take it to extremes though. I wonder if they watched the cutting edge program on people making claims against schools etc. and got a bit jittery! :o