Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help And Advice Please

Cait

After several years spent running a hotel in sunny Guernsey and being a nanny to the proprietors two small boys when she was 'off duty', my daughter is now back on the big rock and living in North Yorkshire. She's been working as a veterinary assistant but has now decided she wants to be a classroom assistant.

So the questions are - what training should she be looking out for? Where from? How much is it likely to cost? How long will it take? What's the salary going to be like when she's 'done'? (she's currently on £7 an hour) and anything else you can think of that she's not thought of!

Hi Cait,

I began by being a mummy helper and got offered hours later. There are courses out there, but don't know about the costs. Could she offer at a local school? Contact local LA for info on jobs?

Check local paper, if qualifications are being sought at least it will state what sort! There is a FD for learning support, but she would need to be working paid/volunter hours of 15 per week. Maybe local schools would like to support that?

Pay was quite low at first, also wages are split over whole year so recieved August pay.

Good luck, been one for 14 years before going onto teacher training!

:o

Well I did it voluntarily for 11 years at our local school then did my ADCE and started the Preschool up. I have student s at Preschool doing their NVQ 2 and 3 and wondered what sort of training there was out there for her.

Classroom assistant jobs are very sought after so any experience your daughter can bring to the job will stand her in good stead.

Many jobs are given to people who have volunteered in school before a job comes up........ staff have then seen how a person is with the children/ their time keeping/ attitude etc.

Also lots of TA hours get made up by hours supporting specific children and as these are usually not permanent (although can run and run) so staff can look to those already in school to offer them to first.

My advice to your daughter.... find a school and if possible offer up some volunteer hours. It is a foot in the door and as I said an opportunity for your daughter to become known.

Don't forget she will need to be CRB'd!!

She was CRB'd for me but it'll need to be done again no doubt. She used to come and work in Preschool when the hotel was shut for the winter. She's wanting to stay on the east coast if she can

It varies from LA to LA and even school to school. My school doesn't employ anyone below level 3 qualification so it is worth looking at the local situation as well as getting experience. My LA also asks for separate CRBs for each school so even if she has one already she may need another.

Our TAs are salaried rather than paid per hour and wages depend on experience. Unlike other areas they also work 8.30 - 4.00

lots to investigate I imagine

Good Luck

Edited by Marion

Good advice already Cait, I hope your daughter finds what she wants.

Volunteering is always a good start but she can look out for adverts too. She must have some sort of qualification already..what does she have? The last appointment we made in my last job went to someone who had never worked in a school but was streets ahead of any of the other applicants, so you never know..

Good luck to her, it can take a bit of time, it was not unusual for us to get 100 applicants for a TA post.