Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Are You?

are you a manager or a leader?

what do you think are the differences or the similarities?

doing my next assignment leadership, management and decision-making

and it got me wondering what everone thinks they are?

plus if anybody knows ANYTHING about relevent theories and models of management/leadership or the significance of legislation and trends effect on practice i would also be very interested! :oxD

oohh what course you doing narnia and where? mines foundation degree in early years practice up north in ashington. I go on the section here for FD and get confused by the letters people use as i have no number or letter codes that i know of, although i am easily confused!

the other bad thing is mines due in next week but dont tell anyone i havent started it, oops.

the other bad thing is mines due in next week but dont tell anyone i havent started it, oops.

Welcome to the last minute merchants' club! I was just like that too, I'm afraid!

If they're talking Foundation Degrees and there are confusing letters and numbers, I'll wager they're OU learners, dianalexis. They speak a language all their own! :o

Maz

I do hope this helps!

I class my self as a Manager and a leader in the setting I am in as I own the setting and Lead each session. As the manager I am responsible for all aspects of the daily running of the group and behind the scenes stuff such as Ofsted, local authority....... As the Leader I am responsible for the daily health and safety checks, planning........

I have asked my two other settings Managers if they concider themselves a manager or leader. they decided Both too. Their reasons being: A manager is there for staff and daily decision making. The leader side of them is there for the children, parents....

We are very much like Head Teachers, we are able to muck in and have fun (be a leader) and manage the daily duties (be a manager).

The roles in my mind are the same its just what I decide to call myself that day!

Good luck with your studies

Have you seen "Effective Leadership and Management in the Early Years" by Janet Moyles?

She describes ELMS - the Effective Leadership and Management Scheme for the Early Years which is a tool for leaders and managers of early years settings to9 evaluate their effectiveness in the role.

There is a quote from Smith and Langston about the difference between leaders and managers: "Leadership and management complement each other... Where they differe is with regard to change. Managers cope with the complexities and results of change while leaders inspire and initiate change" and later "The leader initiates the ideas and puts them into practice. The manager keeps them going and organises their progress".

The reference for Smith and Langston is:-

Smith, A and Langston, A. (1999) Managing Staff in Early Years Settings. London: Routledge

Effective Leadership and Management in the Early Years is published by Open University Press

The other book I used a lot (especially for my reflective practitioner module for the BA) was Jillian Rodd's book:-

Rodd, J. (1998), Leadership in Early Childhood (2nd Ed), Maidenhead: Open University Press

Maz

Have just finished leadership, management and teamworking assignments - oh thank goodness xD

This is some of the reference reading I found useful

Adair, J. 2003 Concise Adair on Leadership

Belbin - Team role theory - www.belbin.com

Bradley, J. H and Hebert, F. J 1997 - the Effect of Personality Type on team performance

Edwards A and Wilson JR 2004 - Implementing Virtual Teams - A guide to organization and human factors

Goleman D 2000 Leadership that gets results - Harvard Business Review 78(2)

Hoyle JR 2006 Leadership Styles - Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration - Sage Publications

as Maz has already said Rodd J 2006 Leadership in Early Childhood - I used the 3rd ed.

Hope that helps

I'm and owner / manager and consider myself a leader and a manager - am also the plumber, cleaner ............................................ :o

I call our lead practitioner our 'leader' (I'm chair), because to my mind she should lead rather than manage. In many ways I think there are 2 separate jobs, even though they are done by the same person - the management is all the day to day paperwork and dull stuff, the leadership side is what really matters imho.

I'm trying to go through the ELMs book at the minute and I'm finding it extremely hard going. Have given up for a bit and promised myself I'll go back to it soon.

How did others find this at first? Please tell me you found it hard!!!

just wanted to say thanks for the replies, may be back over the weekend for ideas for the second part of assignment

identify key pieces of legislation and examine their influence on management and leadership , analyse their impact on policy and procedure, explore recent trends and reflect on the influence of such trends.

oh the joy, was never looking forward to this one the next one's along the same lines oh the fun oh the joy i cant wait!!