Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Detailed Observations

Hi In my new role as deputy the leader has asked me to look over the other staff 'records of achievment' files for their key worker groups...and check they are all to at the same level of info

I've made a shocking discovery... i know it's going to lead to a confrontation and im not looking forward to it!

A member of staff who we have been having a few problems with lately is key person for a child who has been in our setting since Oct 07 and there are only 2 long/detailed ob's for her ( 1 carried out by a work placement) and one by her key person :o

Just wondering how often you all carry long ob's I try to do at least 1 per half term on every one of my key children..

All of her record books are lttle more than photo albums with a little writing underneath, they tell me nothing about the child and I could not tell you where she is developmentally...... xD

Maybe should add the person concerned is a personal friend of the leader, think that is possibly why nothings been done about it before)

blimey! How on earth do i tackle his then????

Edited by mk5698

i think that is awful - you should be able to tell at a glance where the child is and where / how she needs to progress her learning

we do a five minute ob on our keychildren each half term - we also do other obswervations on our keychildren based on their next steps - which means we know what we are looking for and where and know when we need to be making notes or can just play with the child because we know they have already achieved in that particular area - does that make sense?

do you think the leader is aware of that persons work and used you as the person to "find this"? i would just report your findings to the leader once you have looked at all staff and discuss with her what should be done next - training , discussion etc.

seems unfair that this has been pushed on you but you need to get the backing of the leade before it goes any further.

i think that is awful - you should be able to tell at a glance where the child is and where / how she needs to progress her learning

we do a five minute ob on our keychildren each half term - we also do other obswervations on our keychildren based on their next steps - which means we know what we are looking for and where and know when we need to be making notes or can just play with the child because we know they have already achieved in that particular area - does that make sense?

do you think the leader is aware of that persons work and used you as the person to "find this"? i would just report your findings to the leader once you have looked at all staff and discuss with her what should be done next - training , discussion etc.

seems unfair that this has been pushed on you but you need to get the backing of the leade before it goes any further.

Hi Blondie, thanks fo reply, i do think the leader knows and has kind of buried her head in the sand, she is retiring in july and im her successor, we are beginning the ahnd over process at easter.. The problem member of staff is unqualified and refuses to do any training at all, she's worked there for 15+ years and says she doesn't do paperwork...... :o it makes me so cross when we had two really good memers of staff but both have moved onto to work in schools because of the lack of team spirit! there books before they were handed over to others contain 7/8 obs (10 mins) for 1 year.... its so frustrating.....

will have to bring it up tomorrow i know leader will ask how ive got on...

Know how you feel, taken over as manager and have had to update all paperwork , picked up files after staff member who was friends with the previous manager had said she had completed files and nothing in file. Blew a gasket. Told them all that they will be allocated time, no excuse for files not being up to date and I will be doing regular checks.

Will also be implementing a developmental sheet on eyfs and at end of term invite parents if they want, to talk with keyworkers about their childs progress. If they have nothing in file then they will need to explain to parents why not. Bitchy eh! but why should some staff work hard and others not, because at the end of the day the children suffer.

Despite being unqualified, she must have a job description? If so, then I would get this out and see what she is not doing that is stated in her JD. This could be the basis of a chat with her to begin with, you can offer support if you tackle it along the lines of what is she finding difficult, does she need help with it etc etc?

If that doesn't work then you may have to follow the disciplinary route. No, it isn't nice, but at the end of the day we all have a job to do, we cant all go around saying .. but I dont do that or that...

Good luck with it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)