Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

~inspection Outcomes

Beauvink

Helen Edwards has posted Oftsed inspection outcomes for Settings and the improvements required. Does Helen or anyone know of a monitoring process in place for us Childminders? - Have Ofsted released a common core/pattern of actions required for childminders within the South East for example?

The list on the home page for settings is exhaustive - I have noted that Ofsted have at least outlined that settings need to improve their wider partnership with other providers, hopefully one of which will be childminders. Looking through other childminders recent inspections this too has come up on several occasions, yet i know childminders do approach settings and ask if they could work in partnership, discussing what the child they are looking after is working towards there to work on in their own setting to aid the childs development etc.,

Hi beauvink. I'm sure Helen will pop along and say if the reports she read through included childminder's inspections or not.

Have you considered asking your childminding coordinators if they have picked out any recurring themes in inspections in your area? I know that ours do, and likewise we look at our OFSTED reports to pick out 'local variations'. These are not 'OFSTED official', rather just a flavour of what keeps coming up again and again in inspections.

As you say links with other providers comes up for all types of providers..is this something you are finding difficult to achieve?

Our LA (Dudley) occasionally mail out a letter saying what Ofsted have picked up in the most recent childminder inspections, although I don't remember receiving one since last summer! The Childminder Quality Support Officers also give pre-inspection support and hints/tips for what the inspectors "hot" topic seems to be!

Do you have something similar in your area?

Nona

Hi Beauvink,

The four articles were only in relation to "childcare in non-domestic settings" but you've given me an idea to tackle the childminder reports :o It may be a while though I'll do my best!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OK for some, I will wait untill she is back then

I agree that Helen's reports were fantastic, very informative and helpful but I imagine Helen put in a tremendous amount of work to produce them.

Like all of us, I often wondered what OFSTED were looking for, what if any, were the current 'hot topics' and did my own little bit of research. It was nothing like the scale of what Helen did but I did find it helpful.

I went to the inspection section of the OFSTED website and selected 'childcare on non domestic premises' and then used the drop down box to search for settings within 5 miles of my setting. I 'skimmed' several reports and found the same few inspectors names coming up and a pattern in relation to recommendations and outcomes.

Maybe this would be an idea for you ? You just need to select 'childminders' put in your postcode and select the distance of settings. Apart from the fact that it makes interesting reading it may give you an idea of outcomes in your area and how they were achieved.

I am not for a second suggesting this is 'better' than what Helen produced but maybe like us all she has a 'to do' list and not enough hours in the day and having a look may answer some of your questions until Helen finds time to do her research. I have no idea where Helen 'is at' with looking at childminders reports but just thought my suggestion may be helpful until they materialise - have fun!

Hello....I'm back :o

Well, I've started reading them and bringing some themes together, but it will take probably another month or so to come up with the finished article. Sorry to keep you waiting!

Thanks for the positive comments on the last batch, and a great suggestion from Geraldine. xD

The childcare support team here in Dudley read ALL the childminder inspection reports as they are published and send a letter out once or twice a year informing us of common themes. A phone call or an email to your LA may be useful.

Nona

Hi Helen/everyone

Thank you for your comments, point taken, wont be lazy and will have a wee glance if I can, but cant wait until Helen has wangled her way through though!! Thanks Helen, if it is too much then please feel free to abandon I dont want to presure you into producing a report for the childminders.

• 1 month later...
Well, I've managed to do it !

You can access it from the home page, the articles section, or here

Happy reading :o

Interesting reading!!!!!

Helen. you're a star!!

Nona

Thank you Helen, so much work put in to this, very grateful that you are so much more organised with your time than I am with mine! This will be my afternoon in the sun reading, as all the children are off today! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)