Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps!

Hi

I work in a Nurture Nursery and we have 4 sessions a week. I am feeling really overwhelmed at the moment! We do lots odfobs and look to these to inform our planning and to support our learning journals. BUT when thinking about next steps , well i just cant think straight!!! where does this info come from? obs?? development matters?? How do you record them?? and where?? And how do you track chilkdrrens progress??

Sorry for all the questions but feel like I am in a fog at the moment and really not doing my best. I hope some of you may be able to help!

Thanks x

Hi

I can't upload my sheet but basically its an A4 sheet with a box in the middle for a photo of the child and 'Things I like to do..'

Then around this there are boxes with each area in. Using our observations, the EYFS and good old use common sense we just think what we would like the child to be achieving next. Sometimes we don't even fill all the boxes if we don't think it's necessary. Small achieveable targets that the key person can plan for. We usually complete these at the end of a term.

Edited by laura

I'd take the next steps form both. You observe something and then note where the child is on the development chart and then think of how you can help them move onto the next step, what activities, experienecs, resources you can offer.

Yeah this can definately be a tricky one. I use my assessment sheets to help - looking at what level they are working at then the kind of things in the higher level (age range I mean), sometimes that can inspire. But don't forget that the next step can be to consolidate skills - more of the same. This can help to attract children into areas they might not normally go to as well -if theyhave the chance to follow through on something they are confident in and enjoy I mean.

Am I waffling??!

i refer to the practice guidance in the EYFS pack. i think about what the child has achieved in the relevant area of learning, look at the developmental matters section for the childs phase of development, then look at the planning and resourcing section to the right. this gives me ideas for the childs next steps. for example, if a 16 month child has just begun talking then i would turn to CLL section, language for communication, find the appropriate phase of dev ie 16-26m "use single-word and two-word utterances to convey simple and more complex messages", read the look, listen and note, effective practice then planning and resourcing where it suggests "allow time to follow young children's lead and have fun together while talking about actions such as going up, down or jumping". this will become the next steps for the child but i would probably add something specific that i will be doing in my setting that i know the child is interested in. does this help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)