Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3d Shapes

I've been on this school work all day now, my brain is fried and i'm just getting really bored and lacking inspiration.

Know their will be some out there.

I'm just after some good ativities to do with reception chn on 3d shapes. I have thougt of using feely bag to get chn to describe the shape etc, but that will be more towards the end of the week when they have had more experience on it. What activities are out there for introducing 3d shaps my brain is frazzled.

anything would be very much appreciatd xxx

If you do a search for '3d shapes' you'll find lots of ideas. One of my favourites is about changing 'flat' shapes into 'fat' shapes which is in a discussion started by nmarquez on 12th Feb 2008 - would put a link in but don't know how to do this. Lots of other ideas if you search.

Good luck,

Harricroft

Edited by Guest

You find the topic you want to connect to and load it. Then go to the URL bar and in it there will be a number with several figures so copy it. Then return to where you wish to post the link and click on reply. At the side you will see a box saying Quick Access. Click on Topic Link. Paste the number into the top box and whatever words you want to use to link it, such as 'here', in the bottom box. Then click on the OK button. It will appear in the post so then post as normal. I sometimes check by clicking on Preview Post just to check it is working OK.

Recently I handed my children some 3D shapes, some cocktail sticks and some bluetack. They spent hours copying the shapes by sticking the cocktail sticks together as the edges and for many of them it was the longest I've ever seen them concentrate for! They made some really difficult shapes as well and although initially it's tricky to get the bluetack to hold the sticks together (you have to use quite big bits, especially when you have 3 edges meeting at right angles) they were all really keen to persevere with the task and I was amazed at the results - far better than anything I'd expected and it really got them thinking about the shapes!

Hi I have done 3D shape in my reception class - to introduce it, I had 2d shapes and said I was going to do some magic - e.g. I had a square and a balloon, they all closed their eyes, I pretended to be blowing air into the square by using the balloon and out of the bag came a cube - this was to show them 2d shapes are flat and by blowing air into them they become solid shapes.

The children enjoyed it as it was magic! :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)