Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ppa Time

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could help. I am a FT Reception class teacher in a primary school. Every week I receive my appropriate PPA time (half a day) and up to quite recently have always worked at home. The value of this uninterrupted time is an essential lifeline to me - I really don't know what I would do without it. Even with it, I am working every evening, all day Saturday and at least four hours on Sunday.

I am becoming more and more frustrated as my PPA time seems to be becoming more regulated by the HT of late. She arranges meetings for me during this time (in school), stipulates what must be done and says when I should stay in school instead of coming home.

I am SO cross, just wanted a rant really, but does anyone know what the guidelines for PPA time are. Should the HT be able to stipulate what we should be doing and where? I know I am perhaps lucky that I am allowed to come home to work - but still feel this is my right. Anyone know please?

Thanks

Hi Centurians

I don't think you have the right to insist that you work from home, we always had PPA with our year group partner so we could plan together. But your head should not be planning meetings in this time for you to attend.

Perhaps others know more?

Guaranteed PPA time must be used for planning, preparation and

assessment – these duties are contained in the relevant paragraphs of the

Document. The time must not be encroached upon, including by any

obligation to cover for absent colleagues. It is for the teacher to determine the

particular PPA priorities for each block of guaranteed PPA time, although that

does not preclude them from choosing to use some of the time to support

collaborative activities.

Absolutely right. Look up the STPCD and also have a look at you union guidance. It is up to you to decide what to do within this time, and you cannot be told what to do. Of course you should be using it for its purpose. If your HT says you should be on the premises then you have to be. Some schools allow staff to stay at home and others don't, as there could be problems with you working at home, say if you had an accident, as you are 'working' so there could be insurance difficulties (so I'm told). This time has to be time-tabled but sometimes you do have to be a bit flexible.

"PPA time is for teachers to organise and plan their teaching work. It is for the teacher to determine the particular PPA priorities for each block of guaranteed PPA time, although this does not preclude them for choosing to use some of that time to support collaborative activities. The Headteacher, therefore, cannot mandate what is done during PPA time, but should be interested in the outcomes and impact on standards. However, PPA is part of the 1.265 hours and headteachers direct this time. Consequently it is up to the headteacher where PPA takes place. Headteachers may allow teachers to undertake PPA outside of school if they believe this will be helpful to the teacher and practicable for the school."

remember too the NUT isn't part of the workforce agreement

Hi everybody,

Thanks for those gems of advice. I will just have to grin and bear it though, because I'm not one for "rocking the boat", but it is nice to know the official guidelines. :o

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)