Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help - Prsn One More One Less

Hello!

My first post, I hope I am doing it correctly.

I just wanted a bit of advice. Our school is currently in collaboration with another school as we are on ASIP. I am being observed by the head and deputy head of my school and head and deputy head of our partner school. They need to see a 'new' lesson that the children have never learned before.

I was thinking of doing addition and subtraction. I know that I have taught this before, but I am struggling to think of something else.

Do you have any ideas for lessons? We are currently looking at traditional stories, Three Billy Goats Gruff etc.

Thank you in advance.

Leona x

we recently did an activity using pretend cakes -as small group each with a plate- the first person ( usually adult to start with) says "i am soo hungry i think i will have ? cakes" the person next is thenasked if they are hungry / not very hungry - if yes the adult says i have ? cakes, could you take one more than that?"if no then they are asked to take one less than ? cakes.

so if adult takes 2 cakes the first child would take either 1 or 3 depending on their answer. the next child is then asked "are you as hungy / not as hungry as(first child) ?" they are then asked to take one more / one less than the first child.

does that make sense?

We do a nice activity with a piece of material and about 5 small toys (soft toys or small world).

We make a story about one of them going out to play (the material represents the park/ wood/ garden etc) when he heard his friend calling to him and then joining him to play - so how many friends now? (last time we pretended that they played 'ring a roses' so that the children could join in with the singing). The friends can come and go, they can play hide and seek (going into different corners of the 'garden' so that the children can see 1 friend here, 2 friends in this corner 1 more over here - how many friends altogether?).

I don't know how you could link this with traditional stories, but our children got a lot out of this. You can then let the 'friends' leave - '2 got called in for tea, how many left in the park?', '1 went to his grandmas for tea' etc.

The children can then tell the story themselves which is always good fun!

Cath

I used the bus idea. Chairs set up in front of class, a willing bus conductor who doled out tickets and recounted to check we had the correct number on board. Children got very excited pretending to bump along the road and screech to a halt at a bus stop. Those on carpet enjoyed joining in and saying ' 1 more got on/off so that left x' My experienced teacher mentor suggested this and this document. attached - more ideas from the welsh ngfl website. My group activities were rubbish so won't mention them!

good luck

E.3.R_Find_one_more_or_less_than_a_number_from_1_to_10.doc

If you're doing the 3 bears you could ask the children how many more chairs, dishes they would need if ? people came to visit, how many less if they didnt arrive. Doesnt the Jolly postman book have an invitation from Goldilocks? You could maybe send invitations and work out the amount of things needed from that.

Does it need to be one more/less?

The 3d magic shape game that Andreamay suggested once is in my experience a very successful way of introducing 3d shape.

Ive adapted what I do but the basic idea is here!

Good luck.

1 observer is enough for me!!

Thank you for all your responses. I have had a think and decided I am going to do Jack and the Beanstalk.

I really like all your ideas, and will be trying them out after the observation! Was thinking of doing ordering the numbers one to ten printed on leaves (for the beanstalk) and then jumping up and down the leaves (this is for my LA group). Then the MA group eating golden eggs laid by the chicken, discussing how many there are and how many there will be etc. and the HA group sorting out the giants gold coins (more addition and subtraction).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)