Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading/ Writing Area

I really need some inspiration for my reading and writing area as they are pretty dull and the children hardly ever use the areas. Ive just taken over in nursery so any fab ideas or photos of areas would be great

thanks

Sometimes it can be the very small things which make the difference before we go on to the maybe more expensive things!

I asked children what they watched on tv/dvd and then created some headed notepaper/small notepads which contained pictures of their faves - at the top or on the front - Dora, Ben 10, Superheroes. These drew them in. Also 'sellotaping' large sheets of paper onto the table enticed them in - 'twig' pencils - white wax crayons for secret writing (use lemon juice to reveal) - good old whiteboards and pens still work too.

Good luck!

Jenni

Have you looked in the gallery, sorry I don't know how to do a link x x

Is there a gallery on this site? How do I access it please?

Hi ya

About 2 years ago I made the reading area central to the classroom. I knew that wherever the role play was the children would use it. Now the reading area is constantly in use. I have topic/themed books on display, cushions, a small sofa, puppets and baskets full of books. The display space above always reflects literacy based activities such as Traditional tales.

My writing area has a magnetic board for the children to display their drawings and writing. I have an IKEA unit with boxes full of different media such as crayons, pencils, pens, gel pens, scissors, hole punch, sticky shapes, scrap paper, small white boards and glue sticks etc. Nothing is out of bounds and so the children love exploring (without risk) - I also ensure their are actitivities planned in for boys (small clipboards work wonders especially alongside construction toys).

Hope this helpful

NikkiMac

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)